Logo

Starters and Heat exchangers

bobecke

"New to the forum, Just a coup

"New to the forum, Just a couple of quick questions. I need a new starter for my 5.7 Mercruiser. The existing one is undersized I think (Delco Remy 9000762). The boat is new to me and it turns over very slowly (all conections good and clean). What is the best, most powerful starter I can get? Also, I'm wanting to put a heat exchanger in (saltwater use). Any recommendations? Thanks!"

"I wouldn't discount the p

"I wouldn't discount the possibility of a bad battery as well as an under-maintained starter. You need to make sure whatever you use for a starter is Coast Guard approved for marine use. With the flammable gases in the bilge, a regular car/truck starter is cabable of sparking and causing big problems. How old is the boat/motor?"

Jim is right. Sounds like you

Jim is right. Sounds like you a battery or electrical connection problem. Marine starters are safety items and should be dealt with properly by law and for you own safety.

"You can get a good idea of wh

"You can get a good idea of where the problem is by attaching a voltmeter to the battery terminals and cranking the motor. If the voltage drops below 10V, it's either a bad battery or the starter is drawing too much current. If you have had to crank the motor for a long time trying to get it to start, the starter has been badly stressed and if the battery has died several times, it's toast and needs to be replaced.

You can take the starter to a rebuilder and they'll be able to check it out for you. Also, if they're worth anything, they can rebuild it as a marine unit."

Thanks guys. Great info. It is

Thanks guys. Great info. It is a mercruiser marine starter. Before I bought this boat (1994 20' Sea Ray Sig 200 w/ 5.7 mercruiser alpha) it had a 5.0 which was replaced w/ a 5.7. The motor and alpha are new. I'm thinking that the starter (AC Remy 9000762 is the original 5.0 starter.) I had a new PM300 marine gear eduction high output ordered for it but I will check the draw on it.
Any ideas on heat exchangers?? Thanks again.

I got my heat exchanger at go2

I got my heat exchanger at go2marine.com. I researched a lot of places and they had the best price.

Back