Logo

Volvo Penta 280 on back of 1986 25b Bayliner handles funny

reuben

I have a 1986 25 foot Bayliner

I have a 1986 25 foot Bayliner with a VP 305 eng and VP 280 out drive. When I am going 5-10 MPH the boat wont stay in a line. It steers from side to side on its own and when you trun the wheel you can feel some roughness. I was looking at the out drive and it seems to have some play in what looks like a bushing at the top of the steering fork. From what i see in the diagrams I should replace the vring and bushing. Is there anything esle I should be looking at and how much trouble is this to replace? Has anyone got advice on this before I take it apart?
Thank you in advance for time and help.

"What you have at the top of t

"What you have at the top of the steering fork (where it meets the transom shield) is two nylon bushings that seldom create any trouble.

You may want to check for play between the tiller arm and the steering fork. It is not uncommon for the splines in the fork to wear (the fork is made of aluminum while the tiller arm is cast or forged steel). You could also have a loose steering tiller arm.

Most of the steering problems I have seen in 270/280 outdrives come from play in steering wheel mechanism (if cable), worn splines in the fork, loose tiller arm, and wear in the steering helmet bushings.

Hope this helps."

If the Steering fork is worn t

If the Steering fork is worn that looks easy to fix. It looks like that and the what I think they are calling a bearing bolt is worn. There seems to be play at both of these points. Is that bearing tough to change?

"I believe that the bushings a

"I believe that the bushings are just pressed-in, so if you have a hydraulic press and a source of heat renewing them should not be a problem. Alternatively, you may want to consider buying a used helmet with the bushings in better condition than yours."

"All true, but even with a per

"All true, but even with a perfect outdrive these boats will do this--not enough keel to keep them going straight.

Jeff"

Sweet I dont have to fix it. B

Sweet I dont have to fix it. But is it normal to pull to one side or do I just have my trim tabs out of adjustment?
Thanks for all the help.

"Now, hold on a sec: I didnt

"Now, hold on a sec: I didnt say there's not a problem with tight bushings or sloppy linkage; only that these type of boats wallow like a garbage scow at low speed. (No offense meant.) You might not have any mechanical problems there--you'll need to check that out. If you're okay, then try this technique to tame the twitchy-ness:

Drop just one of the trim tabs (try 'em one at a time) all the way down; that pulls the boat to one side. Then compensate with the wheel until she runs straight. And don't over-compensate: that just aggravates the swinging action.

Jeff"

I have a 2550 cierra with a 35

I have a 2550 cierra with a 350 (260a/hp) engine and its a pig getting out of the water. I'd say the 305 would be even worse. I never use my trims but really have to hit it and can't hold plan at lower speeds.

Back