Logo

Flywheel magnets 235hp

jommer

"Howdy all,

I'm new to

"Howdy all,

I'm new to this site, but certainly not new to outboards. I hear Joe is the man to ask around here.

Anyway, Joe, I have a '84 235hp, TXCRC I picked up from a guy here locally as a parts motor. He said he had it built for him and ran it a couple of times til it died. He sold it as is. I tore it down and found out it broke a piston skirt without doing much damage to the cylinder. I plan to get it going again, but I have one problem. He sold the flywheel to someone else.

My dad also works on outboards and had a flywheel (it is from a '82 200 TXCNE) so I picked it up from him. And as you should, I turned the flywheel over to inspect the magnets to see if they were good and if they were loose. They were all loose and someone had pushed them all together up against one another so there was no gap between them and about a 2 inch gap between the first and the last. Great, huh? I checked to see if I could see any marks where they were placed originally, but didn't see any.

Do you know where I can get a diagram that shows the placement and spacing of the magnets? I sure don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks,
Jim"

"Try an OMC dealer. I believe

"Try an OMC dealer. I believe they sell the adhesive kit, which includes instructions."

"Hey Jim...Take all of the mag

"Hey Jim...Take all of the magnets and clean the convex side of them real well...clean the flywheel where the magnets go from any rust,old glue residue.or any thing else...Any automotive store will have a repair adheasive called JB Weld..after mixing, spread an even thin coat on the magnet , and put it in the flywheel...Find something about the thickness of a popcycle stick and place 2 of them between each magnet as you go..when done, should be pretty well spaced evenly around the flywheel...try spacing the magnets before glueing to be sure that it will come out pretty close...not dealing in Fractions or MM's,just should look pretty well evenly spaced"

"Thanks for the info Tommy. N

"Thanks for the info Tommy. Next question is... What about the timing marks on top? Shouldn't the first magnet be positioned in relation to the No. 1 cylinder timing mark? Should the mark be at the front edge of a magnet or somewhere in the middle or at the end?

Thanks again,
Jim"

"It doesn't matter where t

"It doesn't matter where the magnets are located pertaining to a starting point. Just make sure to have them spaced evenly. Short pieces of 3/8" od hose does that spacing job just fine.

Nobody pushed those magnets together. When they come loose, that's how they arrange themselves.

If your engine has the 35amp charging system, that is probably the correct flywheel. You can tell a 35amp stator/charging system by the two large black coils at the rear portion of the stator. If you do not have the 35amp stator, do not use that flywheel.

Be sure to torque the flywheel nut ot 145 foot pounds. Any less will result in a sheared flywheel key and damaged crankshaft and flywheel tapers."

"Yep! 2 big black coils in bac

"Yep! 2 big black coils in back and 1 big black coil in front.

So, roughly 3/8" between each magnet, not worrying about where to start...sounds pretty simple.

Thanks guys,
Jim"

Back