Logo

1985 40 hp VRO

boatguy61

"hi,im new to this message boa

"hi,im new to this message board,i have purchased this motor with the vro disconected,it runs fine till you go half to full throttle,then stumbles and runs like its on one cly,until you push the choke on the key and it will run if you keep pushing it,have replaced the cdi box,coils,and rebuilt the carbs,ran fine for about 15 mins,then same problem,would like to put an old style pump on this motor,if possible,what part # for the pump?thanks for any help"

"If the engine runs when You p

"If the engine runs when You push the choke, there is probably nothing wrong with the pump.
You better have another look at the carbs."

"thanks morten,i have pulled t

"thanks morten,i have pulled the carbs off again,and the spring for the float had fallen off on the top carb,any way to keep that from happening again?i still would like to go to the old style pump,i just dont want to spend the money for the vro pump if i dont have too,thanks again for the heads up on the carbs,i will be back on here with more questions im sure"

"The spring can normally not g

"The spring can normally not get 'off' by itself if it is correctly installed and the float drop correct. The float drop spec is to ensure that the float does not 'bounce in the carb bowl, but is stopped by the float arm stopper (small tab on the float arm). Normally I would say the VRO is a better pump than the 'old' type, just rember that the oil inlet has to be blocked!It keeps a more even fuel pressure on the carb needle valves due to its bigger fuel volume and longer stroke."

"thanks again morten,i had the

"thanks again morten,i had the float set too low,it was almost 7/8ths inch,reset it to 3/4,and after more investigation,found the fuel hose from the supply manifold to the top carb had a few pin holes in it,replaced all the hoses,the oil pump side of fuel pump is blocked off,the first place i checked for leaks,its ok,did also found the the fuel filter had a bad o-ring,was leaking air,replaced it with a new one and tested for leaks,its ok,havent had time to take the boat and test it in the lake,but runs ok with the the garden hose attatched to it,but i wont run it wide open like that,i believe it can do damage to the lower unit,i want to try it in a real world situaition, i will get to tryin it this week,will let you know how i made out,thanks again morten.i needed help with this one."

Back