Logo

1974 evinrude 25hp hard start rough idle dies at low idle

M

mike gray

"Hello again,

I disassembl

"Hello again,

I disassembled carb, soaked, installed rebuild kit, reinstalled carb and engine started with 2-3 pulls. Once it reached operating temperature it began to backfire and cough and die out at low idle. I was able to adjust idle speed enough to eliminate the backfiring. But, when I back down to low idle engine will die.
I let engine sit for about 2 hours to cool and I attempted restart. It took about 20 pulls to get the engine to start, then it seemed to run ok until brought to low idle. It seems to be getting plenty of fuel in the cylinders. In fact the upper spark plug was wet and black like it was running rich the lower looked fine. (These were new at same time carb was reinstalled.) At this point I believe it to be some type of adjustment I need to do for both starting hard and low idle. Thanks in advance for any direction you can give.
Mike

see my other discussion called 1974 evinrude no start."

you may check the armature pla

you may check the armature plate for excessive wear (the plate uder the flywheel that holds your points. the coller rides on the block and after many years this wears and the armature plate will never go back to the same place you can take the armature plate off and take screw driver and hammer and make indentions around the coller where it rides on the block be careful but that should help tighten it up on the block!!!

Back