Logo

Fouling plugs on 2002 225 ficht

"You are not the only one with

"You are not the only one with that problem. First have the engine temp checked put by e lap top test so you may see what the engine ECM reads of info. One 'naughty' trick is to use carbon guard in thr furl. Which oil are You using? Min XD-50, the original."

We are having the comp. downlo

We are having the comp. downloaded monday.We are using carbon guard which helps but does not solve the problem.Alot of people are saying it could be the bypass valve leaking at low speeds not letting the engine get up to operating temp.but this is happening at 1500-1800 rpm were the water pressure is above 7psi so the valve would open anyway.Maybe change t-stats? We are using ram oil.

"There are different mapping v

"There are different mapping versions for that engine, however you have to take it to a dealer to confirm you have the right one. The rpm you indicate may even be the problem, it is just where the engine is changing ignition modus. Have you tried a different prop to use when trolling? this to get away from that rpm range."

We are using a 14 1/2x17 viper

We are using a 14 1/2x17 viper right now an that prop tacks out at 5500-5600 RPM.If I go smaller it may over rev and if I go to 19 It will only turn about 5200-5300 rpm which I thought would load up the engine.

"If you want to go off road wi

"If you want to go off road with your car you will probably use a different gear than on the high way. On boats we have only one gear - sometimes we need to change propeller for a specific use. Do You drive Your car in first gear on the highway?
Sorry, but no engine works perfect in the whole rpm range. Boat engines/gearboxes are compromises. To my knowldge the only manufacturer that made a 2-speed gearbox was Archimedes Penta back in the 60/70 es. It was called Drive 45 and had a pulling propeller. The design was made by an enginer from the Heinkel aircraft factory in Germany during WW II. Why I know it? I have worked at the factory,(Archimedes later Volvo Penta) and known the man. His last 'stunt' in the marine industry was the cast iron power head on the Volvo Penta 55/70 outbard. A litle sidestep, not relavant, take it as a little odd lesson in marine technical hstory not known to the most."

Do you tink it would help to c

Do you tink it would help to change the progam on the computer to 250HP and run the 19" prop?That way I will still get the RPM at top end and stay below 1500 at trolling speeds and still acheive 6-7 knots.

I have a few friends with the

I have a few friends with the same engine and they have no problems trolling at the same rpm range that I do.Similar size and weight boats and same pitch prop. I have a hard time believing that bombardier would design a engine that would have problems in this rpm range.Any other ideas?

"Bomardier did not design the

"Bomardier did not design the Ficht's, they inherrited them from OMC. The E-Tech family however is Bombardier responsibility even they are mostly buildt in yhe old Fichts. Bombardier have done a lot to get the Fichts working, but still some bugs around that are next to impossible to cure 100%. In Your case, check the mapping version, be sure your plugs are correctly installed, only use XD 50 (RAM) oil."

"Ok,Here's where we are.We

"Ok,Here's where we are.We have the correct mapping version. But at trolling speeds (1500-1800 rpm) the engine is running between 104-122 degrees,which is to low. I found that the bypass valve was leaking and causing the engine not to be able to get to the proper operating temp. We sealed the valve set and that fixed the leakage problem. We also installed t-stats from the e-tec engines that are rated 10 degrees warmer than our original t-stats. So far it's running better at low end. Is there a higher pressure spring on the bypass available? Instead of the stock 7lb maybe a 10lb?"

You seem to have entered into

You seem to have entered into alterations of the engine specs that I do not want to follow up or comment any further.

I have checked with 2 certifie

I have checked with 2 certified OMC mechanics and they are doing the same changes on these engines when they come in for service.They say that the bypass valve is leaking even on the new E-TECS.

"I am proposing to buy a 90HP

"I am proposing to buy a 90HP FICHT and put it on a 5.5meter Ribcraft rib. You guys seem to know this engine range. Am I ok to buy this engine or not? Is the consumption good and will it let me down 5 miles out off Wexford, SE Ireland on a rough day?"

Back