Logo

1959 EVINRUDE 35HP Charging system

gearhead93

I have a 1959 evinrude 35 hp o

I have a 1959 evinrude 35 hp on my boat. This motor was just fixed and runs great. I am not rich and this is what I could afford and I am very happy with the motor. It is electric start and there isnt a charging system on it. I know that I will need a generator. I heard that I will need a voltage regulator also. What else will I need to add a charging system to this motor and where would I find it. I looked on ebay and its not there.

"Depending on You weather cond

"Depending on You weather conditions, perhaps a solar panel would do for charging? Probably a lot cheaper and you do not even have to run the engine!"

"Ron.... That engine runs on a

"Ron.... That engine runs on a magneto ignition system, so the battery is simply used for cranking the engine over to start it. A good battery would contain its charge for a very long time. However, if you're using a depth sounder (fish finder), radio, and other electronic equipment, the battery life would of course be slightly shorter.

The exonomic way to go about solving your problem would be to purchase another high quality battery and a trickle charger to maintain the batteries from time to time. In short, a spare battery.

To go the generator route, you would need a generator, voltage regulator, junction box, ammeter, assorted wiring, etc. The cost would be quite prohibitive."

I am wanting to run a fish fin

I am wanting to run a fish finder on the boat and a trolling motor. Maybe a radio so when I am out on the river by myself I can listen and not get bored. I thought of the possibility of using a solar panel with a deep cycle battery. I would use one battery to start the motor and another for everything else. Would a solar panel be able to keep up charging with as fast as this stuff would drain it. I also need my lights to work at night.

"This is all a question about

"This is all a question about amp-hours. How many amp-hours do you expect to consume,tells you how big battery and charge capacity from the panel you would need. As an exsample: a bulb of 10W (12 volt)pulls about 0,8amp. With an 80A/hr battery you may use it theoretically for 100hrs.
Maximum carge for a normal lead/acid battery is about 10% of its capacity without 'boiling' it.(However never run it below 20% of its capacity).
That gives a 80Amp/hr battery may be charged max 8amps over a longer time.
You are welcome to keep on the calculation, check the statistcs of sunny days at the local met office, and hopefully You will be up and running before the ice gets back!
Happy Fishing!"

"Perhaps a bowmounted windmill

"Perhaps a bowmounted windmill with blades bolted to a Delco-Remy car Alternator, and wired to your accessory battery, while operating the boat at hi speed might throw a charge to the battery(ies).
Sorry, I know the feeling. My boating started like yours, alot of desire, a small amount of cash, and some fiddling and tinkering. my 1968 20HP merc was that way. Magneto ignition, with electric start. I just trickle charged the battery when i got it home from the lake. i had nite lights, and a depth finder too. Hopefully you can upgrade someday soon....
A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work."

Back