Logo

OMC 43L Lower Unit Water not coming out of the exhaust portprop with muffs on

dougbreault

Contributing Member
"Hi all,

Running an OMC 4.3

"Hi all,

Running an OMC 4.3L I/O out of the water with muffs on, and the water is on medium, and no water is coming out of the exhaust port or the prop... any ideas?

Water also squirts out of the side of the muffs like it's getting blocked (maybe).

I'm a new boat owner so it could be something obvious.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions you might have at all,

Doug

PS. The boat was stored for 2 years before I got it and wasn't prepped in any way to get it running again by the previous owner. Is there anything they turn off such as valves or anything when they store the boat?"

"'Muffing" is not a co

"'Muffing" is not a cooling test, just a possibility to run the engine ashore without overheating (?) and burning the impeller. You probably have most of the water comming out under the transom and the holes in the exhaust bellow."

I just bought my first boat ov

I just bought my first boat over the winter and it also has a 4.3 I/O Cobra. You need to check the impeller. This is easy to check on the Cobra. Just take off the top aft cover and the impeller housing is right there. Four bolts and it is off. F.Y.I. 99.9% of my water did come out of the exhaust bellow not the prop when I ran it out of the water. Also check your oil level in the outdrive before starting (from top of outdrive.

"Guys, you were right. All of

"Guys, you were right. All of the water was coming out of that port right under the transom bracket. Launched the boat for the first time ever this weekend and it went perfectly.

Thanks for your help!"

"If the boat sat for 2 years,

"If the boat sat for 2 years, I'd do that impeller anyway. It's easy, under the plastic cap on the back of the drive, 3 3/8 bolts, then another 4 under a bowl shaped cup with possibly a small water tube running to it. Try not to break it off, but if it's already broken, don't worry about it. It's not mission critical. At some point that plastic cup will warp and need replacing anyway. I generally do them in the water with the drive tilted up after taking the coverplate off. It all gets wet inside there anyway. Those impellers have many more "legs" than the usual 5 or 6, and dry out faster and break off easier, especially after extended storage. They then usually clog up passages and thermostats, and generally make a mess of things so best to get them before they shred. Also, for the sake of the 50 or 60 bucks they cost, and how easy they are to replace, I'd do it every 3 years. It's cheap insurance against a ruined weekend."

Back