Logo

1999 volvo penta 50 305

kylecoan

"I need some help here guys.

"I need some help here guys. This winter my boat's block froze. I didnt notice this until i took it out this spring. I cruised around the lake for about 5 mins and then i throttled down to half speed for about 2 mins. When i went to punch it the engine seemed to be running like it should but the boat was going about 10 mph and the front end was standing up. I looked in the engine compartment and it was half full of water, obviously coming out of the block. I took for granted that that was why the boat was standing up at the front (the weight of the water in the back end) When i docked the boat i also noticed some water had gotten into the engine. So i put a new engine in the boat. I used all the extras from my previos engine. I took the boat out after installing the new engine and it is also doing the same thing, it seems like the engine is running right but the boat is standing up in the front (it wont plane out). I was wondering what could be causing it to do this? Maybe you can help."

"A little lack of info, but I&

"A little lack of info, but I'll try anyway.
If your revs went up and the boat speed stayed at 10Miles, it is probably the propeller hub slipping. If you ave an SST prop, the hub may be changed, an alu prop - change the prop."

"Could it be something with th

"Could it be something with the exhaust? I have heard that there is are two flappers in the exhaust that if they shut , it could take power away from your boat."

"Everything is possible, I hav

"Everything is possible, I have found exhaust flaps jammed in the drive blocking exhaust too.
But as I wrote in my previous answer there is a lack of information.
1: Did the rev go up but boat did not encrease speed?
2: Do you have a 2V or 4V carb (did the second stage open?)
3;Was it more a sign of lack of power (fuel)?"

"The rpms went up to 3 grand.

"The rpms went up to 3 grand. The carb is fine, it does not seem like a fuel problem. Also the engine goes into gear fine and idles fine. It also will start off fine. When you gun it, it seems like the engine responds , just not the boat.

Would you think that when it did this with the cracked block engine it was due to the amount of water in the back or do you think it was the same problem i am having now? When i took the cracked engine out it ran fine for 5-10 minutes, just like it always had."

"This seems to eliminate the s

"This seems to eliminate the slipping propeller, so left is a power problem unless you are running with drive setting/trim all out. However just to eliminate, check the spark wires that they are in the right possitions (fireing order) and that your ignition timing is correctly set. Something seems to have happened during the swap of parts from the old to the new. The new one you bought, did it have the correct cam shaft installed?"

"I used an exact block as my o

"I used an exact block as my old engine. I used everything from my old engine which was brand new, with the exception of new pistons, rods, and rings. Everything else was just transferred over. We have checked the fireing order, timing and carb. The exhaust is the only thing we havent checked. We are working on that tonight. Thanks for the help. Any other help will be appreciated as i am clueless as to what it could be."

"1) Can you put your boat

"1) Can you put your boat on a trailer and weigh it? Perhaps a compartment is full of water and the additional weight is preventing the boat from planing.

2) Does your boat have trim tabs or power trim? Setting eiher of them wrong can also prevent the boat from planing. Also, in the older outdrives (270, 280 et al) placing the trim pin in the wrong hole could also prevent the boat from taking off."

"My uncle has a jet boat. he

"My uncle has a jet boat. he is the one who took the boat after we fixed everything back. He did not have the trim all the way down, as he was used to his jet boat. What a dumb mistake. Anyway thanks for the great help you guys gave, i at least know more about my boat now."

Back