Logo

Low rpmbs

clynnjw

I have a 1972 22 foot searay.

I have a 1972 22 foot searay. It has a 302. When I first put in the water for the first 200 yards or so it will only reach 3800 rpms. After that it will only reach about 3200 rpms. That is with octane booster. It will not do that good without the booster. Here is what I have done. 1) rebuilt carb 2) new wires and plugs 3) lighter spring in the advance. What else can I do.

Did the performance decline su

Did the performance decline suddenly. Is there any misfire accelerating or at top speed? Is the distributor with points and condenser?

"No, it is not a sudden declin

"No, it is not a sudden decline. I have had the boat 3 season so far. It has ran that way all a long. There is no misfire. I have replaced the points and condenser."

Two things to check:

1. Con

Two things to check:

1. Condition of the prop and bottom.

2. Hull gaining weigh do to a leak in a double bottom (if equipped).

Jeff

Have to agree with Jeff. If it

Have to agree with Jeff. If it's been slow ever since you've owned it I'd suspect prop. Good chance previous owner damaged original and stuck whatever came handy back on just to look good for sale.

Bob

Yup prop most likely. One oth

Yup prop most likely. One other thing that happened with a 302 causing a 600 rpm drop was wire to cylinder #4 fell off. Make sure all wires are on correctly. The engine ran smoothly on 7 cyls.

Back