Logo

38 repower

chevytough1975

"i have a 1984 rinker 19'

"i have a 1984 rinker 19' runabout with a 3.8 omc. The engine was not winterized by the previous owner, resulting in a cracked block and both heads. Will any other engine fit this application? the lower unit model is M#983487 S# j346731 the engine is M#382stmrcrj S#797900. What kind of engine is this IE chevy, ford and so on. what is the rated hp rpm at wot? Will a 4.3 chevy fit with little to no modification? I have a complete engine but no exhaust manifolds. will the 3.8 work? Thanks"

"There are several types of st

"There are several types of stringer mounts. You probably have an 800 but may have a 400. If the distributor is on the back of the engine it is a 229 chevy and a 4,3 will replace it."

P.S. Stringer mount means that

P.S. Stringer mount means that the engine and drive assembly are completely supported by the boats stringers and not the transom.

"If that's a 229 Chevy, a

"If that's a 229 Chevy, a newer 4.3 can be used, but a few parts will need to be purchased: The crank is different, so get the flywheel with it. And be sure to use the 4.3 distributor--the 229 was an uneven firing motor.

Jeff"

Thanks all for the great info.

Thanks all for the great info. the lower unit is an 800 will a 350 mag out of a 1999 moomba fit? i can get the complete assembly for about 1200.00 I really like the 350 chevy. Thanks again

That might be a bit heavy.
1:

That might be a bit heavy.
1: Gear ratio in your ypper drive?
2: Depends on the version of the lower unit.
If it is the 'late' model with shift interrupt switces inside: Yes.
The older one whith servo assist - not recomended

how do I know if its a late mo

how do I know if its a late model or early model? It is a stringer unit I think when I adjust the tilt and trim the entire engine and lower unit move as one.

what engine would you put in t

what engine would you put in this boat? Would you go with the 3.8 or something else? The boat will be used for tubing and crusing around on with 6 to 8 people. We like to go fast but understand its only a 6 cylinder 40-45 mph is fine.

"Little difference in HP from

"Little difference in HP from the 3.8 to the 4.3, especially when both were 4 BBL carb'ed. The 3.8 was a little bit lighter. To avoid costly exhaust modifications, and a somewhat unsaleable "frankenstein" I'd try and get a 3.8 back into it. The 80's Malibu's had them, and there's no difference between the marine and auto short blocks, unlike most marine apps. If the old heads are ok, not cracked or warped, I'd use them too. I *believe* the valves are bigger, but I may be f.o.s. The 4.3 heads do NOT bolt to a 3.8 manifold, at least the ones I tried didn't. Never really determined if it was a vortec issue. Round vs. square ports, Jeff...? Dunno. I tried it when my own 3.8's manifolds cracked due to their poor design. My very first boat...ended up buying brand new unpainted unfinished last of the line manifolds from OMC for almost 500 each."

Back