Logo

Need Alpha One Gears 1501

"What happened- water in the o

"What happened- water in the oil? If you want accurate part numbers, you'll need to have the drive's serial number handy since that's the way they reference all Mercruiser parts.

I just bought a reverse gear on ebay for an Alpha One Gen II- it was NOS and in nice condition. I also bought a used propshaft from someone else who also sells new parts. Let me know if you want the e-mail address or phone # for the guy. He has a salvage operation in NJ."

i swapped motors from 4.3 to a

i swapped motors from 4.3 to a 5.7 I have 1.84 gears in it now and am running a 21 pitch. I get like 5500-6000 RPM and about 45 mph... Need to go with lower gears to bring the rpm down and the speed up.

"Make sure you set the preload

"Make sure you set the preload on the gears when you get them installed. It's not hard but should be done to spec. The indicator is a hose clamp with a flat piece of metal soldered onto it and it mounts onto the drive shaft, then the shaft is rotated to see how far it moves in both directions before the gear teeth touch . If someone here has the manual for that drive, maybe they can help with the preload spec."

"If it's not a Mercruiser

"If it's not a Mercruiser manual, I don't know if the spec will be there (I kind of doubt it), but the Merc manuals are the only ones I have ever used."

If we are talking changing the

If we are talking changing the upper gears there is no tool with a hose clamp soldered to it. Thats for lower service. You need two special shim tools and the setup to check rolling torque on the horizontal and vertical package.

Back