Logo

Starter question

nick

Contributing Member
My starter is making some grin

My starter is making some grinding noises because the engine hydro locked earlier this season and damaged the starter. Can I replace it with a standard starter for a 305 Chevy from an auto parts store? Or do I need to get a "marine" part?

"check first if starter is loo

"check first if starter is loose. common to stretch bolts in that cicumstance. don't use auto starter, can cause explosion, and fire. not worth the risk. check your flywheel for damage also."

"yes, always use a marine star

"yes, always use a marine starter, they are sealed for sparks."

Can anyone give me some advice

Can anyone give me some advice about how to get the starter out so I can have it rebuilt? It is in a very bad spot and I can't even tell how it is attached. I have a 1994 5.0L Mercruiser. I only have easy access to the top and forward part of the engine. Thanks

two bolts up into the block at

two bolts up into the block at rear. some have a bracket starter front to block.

"ALL--repeat--ALL bolt up star

"ALL--repeat--ALL bolt up starters need that brace in the front! I've seen so many loose, ruined starters after some lazy jerk left that brace off.

Jeff"

"I've fitted and auto star

"I've fitted and auto starter (against much advice) and to date have had no problems. I think you'd have to have a fair splash of fuel in the bilge for an auto starter to throw and spark and ignite it - to me that would suggest your boat is in pretty bad shape anyway. Secondly, from a cost point of view I can afford to fit 3 auto starters for the same price of a marine starter. Maybe I'll be sorry later but for now I feel pretty clever."

"John- if you're stopped b

"John- if you're stopped by the Coast Guard, they will find that starter and keep you off the water. You don't need a splash of anything, just fumes, and there are always fumes in a bilge after not running for a while. I know of someone whose lanyard wasn't on the safety switch and they kept cranking the motor. Once they put the lanyard on, they were so PO'd they didn't turn the blower on and when the motor started, the cup holders all blew out of the motor box.

Maybe your life is worth cheesing on parts like this but it's definitely not clever, it's cheap. You need about 5% ignitable fumes and one spark to blow it up. Keep that in mind when you have family members in the boat with you.

Having a starter rebuilt is a lot cheaper than buying a new one and a good shop will be able to do it to CG spec."

"Point taken guys, I guess the

"Point taken guys, I guess the risk of failure or accident is always there when using "non-genuine" parts. My original comment was only posted to confirm that an auto part is mechanically suitable NOT to suggest that we all ignore manufacturers specs and do things our own way."

"There's no difference in

"There's no difference in most marine parts, other than starters, alternators and distributors being able to contain sparks. Yes, there are some parts used specifically for the marinized motors, but they are basically car or truck parts.

Also, the Coast Guard is notoriously slow in allowing changes in specs, parts and systems. For some of the things the boat makers want to change, it's good that it takes a long time, for others, no."

Back