Logo

The outdrive stays in forward when the shifter is pulled into neutral

teckles

When I pull the shifter into n

When I pull the shifter into neutral from forward it sometimes stays in drive (idol speed). The only way to get it to stop is to put it in reverse. It makes docking the boat extremely hard. I don't know if the cables need lube or if it is something more detailed than that.

"How old is the boat? Could be

"How old is the boat? Could be that the cable is stretched and needs adjustment. If it's old enough, the shift crank and spool could be worn."

"The boat is a 1992 Cobia Mont

"The boat is a 1992 Cobia Monte Carlo 198 with the 4.3 engine. it has been in the water about 6-7 times this year, and this just started on Friday."

Try removing the shift cable a

Try removing the shift cable at the motor and rotate the barrel 2 turns toward the end (closest to the end of the motor with the crank pulley) of the cable. Write down any adjustments you make so you can return everything to its original position. Shift cables do stretch and clutch dogs wear. That's the reason the cables are adjustable.

"I don't believe that shif

"I don't believe that shift cables stretch. If you want to check the adjustment, remove the shift cable from the shift plate and push it in while an assistant stands on the prop against forward gear. Set the barrel to six inches on center with the 1/4" mounting hole. After that leave it. If this is not at 6" the shift plate geometry will not give you the proper throw. Do not change this adjustment. If it still acts up its something else. That year boat should have had the cable replaced."

"If the cables don't stret

"If the cables don't stretch, why should this boat have had the cable replaced? I have seen more cables need replacement (especially on inboard ski boats) because of stretching than the pawls in the controller or something inside the gearcase/transmission (again, inboards). Held up to the new cables, they definitely were longer. Usually, they should have been lubricated and weren't, bound inside of the sleeve and then the problems occured. On a sterndrive, there are more parts between the control and the clutch dog but wear is still possible.

Should it stretch? No. Can it? yes. There are still other possibilities, I was just mentioning a couple of them."

"Shift cables need to be repla

"Shift cables need to be replaced due to cable age and the fact that the cable gets dry or corrodes so the force to push\pull is excessive. Thats why the shift interupter will stall a boat going into gear, replace the cable problem gone. Even if the inner steel cable core could stretch you could always correct the base 6" adjustment."

"Trey, I agree with Harves Mar

"Trey, I agree with Harves Marine that a sticky shift cable will make the engine shut down due to activating the shift interupter BUT your problem is the engine isn't shutting down for that split second that it needs to so it will release the pressure on the clutch dog."

TSB: assuming your last post i

TSB: assuming your last post is correct how can i check or fix the problem? Shop or is it something a fairly mechanicly inclined person can do?

HOW DO YOU PUT THE STARTER ON

HOW DO YOU PUT THE STARTER ON A 1987 MERCRUISER. WE DID NOT TAKE IT OFF AND WANT TO REPLACE IT. THANK YOU.

"TREY, YOU WILL FIND THE SWITC

"TREY, YOU WILL FIND THE SWITCH ON THE BRACKET WHERE THE CABLE FROM THE CONTROL BOX & THE ONE FROM THE DRIVE COME TOGETHER. IT HAS A SPRING ARM ON IT & IF YOU PUSH IT IN WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING IT SHOULD MAKE THE ENGINE SHUT DOWN. IF IT DOESN'T THE SWITCH IS BAD OR YOU HAVE A BAD WIRE, IF IT DOES THEN YOU NEED A SHIFT ADJUSTMENT OR POSSIBLY A CABLE BUT NORMALLY (NORMALLY) A BAD SHIFT CABLE CAUSES THE ENGINE TO SHUT DOWN INSTEAD OF NOT COMING OUT OF GEAR.
Sorry about the caps fast Jeff!"

tsb: when you say "make th

tsb: when you say "make the engine shut down" do you mean killing the engine or it disengage the drive? Like when you by pass the drive when you push in the small button on the shifter to allow gas to the carb when starting the engine?

Thanks for your help!!!

Back