Logo

Backward running b47 Firestone

lootas1

"Bought a 3.6 vintage Fireston

"Bought a 3.6 vintage Firestone outboard motor and it just took some carb cleaner to get it running. Put it on my boat and it started right up. However, it was taking me backward around the lake! It has no shift -- no neutral -- can't even spin it all the way around to reverse. So, tried to start it by spinning the flywheel the other way. That wouldn't even produce a cough. Restarted and away I went backward.
Help? Any ideas, anyone?"

"What direction are you turnin

"What direction are you turning the flywheel?

Looking from the top, the flywheel should be rotating clockwise. If it is and you are going backwards, then someone has put the wrong prop on the motor. You need to find one where the blades are tilted the opposite direction.

If the flywheel is turning counter-clockwise, you are starting it in the wrong direction. The motor should be able to run in both directions."

"Thanks, Ken and Robert. Turn

"Thanks, Ken and Robert. Turns out I have a left handed prop. Someone offered me one that turns the other way for $25 so the check goes in the mail today. Only paid $30 for the motor but it is a nice little motor. I filled the dents in the tank and repainted it and it runs great. So why wouldn't the motor start when I wrapped the rope the other direction and spun it. The little I know about anything made me think that a single like that could run backward but it wouldn't even cough in that direction and fired right up when spun clockwise."

the engine wont run backwards

the engine wont run backwards because the magnet in the flywheel needs to pass the coil to charge it before the points open to get a spark. spinning it backward the points will close first then the coil will charge this is not the proper order of things

Back