Logo

Looking for info

jared

for my 18th birthday my father

for my 18th birthday my father bought me a 1970 reinell 19ft with an alpha one outdrive and what i was told was a mercruiser 120hp 4 cyl the man who he bought it from said he last had it in the water in 04 and it ran fine i have never wrked on a boat before but i do know my way around an engine what im wondering is what do i have to do to unwinterise it and anything else i should do before trying to crank it over. also i have a small block chevy sitting in my garage is it possible to do a motor swap? any info about this motor or outdrive would be greatly appreciated

no alphas until after 83. leav

no alphas until after 83. leave the v8 out of that boat. to many change over pieces.

Harves Marine I have a questio

Harves Marine I have a question on a 3.0 liter mercrusier for you about my Water in oil .Is it possible that the exaust manifold gasket would let water into the cylinder area. My riser was pretty shot with rust. I am thinking exaust manifold probally just as bad. If this is the case. How do i go about flushing out the head unit without pulling the head ormaybe i should replace that gasket as well.

yes the drive is an alpha i wa

yes the drive is an alpha i was told it was replaced in 86 and it says alpha one on it

"Brian, A bad exhaust manifold

"Brian, A bad exhaust manifold gasket will not let water in your engine. The riser can be rusty big time and not be it. The riser only mixes water and exhaust. I suppose the riser gasket can be letting water leak into the manifold. My bet is the manifold is cracked. Its draining down a cylinder after shut off. Take the riser off and make a flat plate with the same bolt pattern and bolt it down with a new gasket. At the other end of the manifold you need a plug for the hose that you can pressurize the manifold and read a gage. It should hold 15-30 for days."

Thank You Harvey Marine.
Als

Thank You Harvey Marine.
Also what I notice while running is the riser is not getting hot like the old one did. Its not even warm. I just took out the thermostat and it is pretty rusty. I probally should change out exaust manifold anyhow. It probally is cracked! Could a stuck open thermostat cause this problem.I am going to order a new Manifold anyhow just in case. I'll let you know how I make out with this. Thank You again!

Im going to say yes a stuck th

Im going to say yes a stuck thermostat would make the riser colder. Does the gage say its running cold?

As soon as the new exaust mani

As soon as the new exaust manifold comes . I'll let you know if this takes care of the problem........Hope so!!!!!!!!!

Back