Logo

Tower of Power basic info

h20ledriver

"Hello merc people. Until now

"Hello merc people. Until now I have been an OMC person, but the deal was too good to pass up ( I hope). Now I have a 90 hp 6-cyl tower of power, and was wondering if there are any nasty surprises, tricks of the trade or handy info bits for this unit. I'm somewhat familliar with 2-cycle engines ( not the first boat) but in changin manufacturers, I thought it best to coem to the experts."

"M. You might like to advise u

"M. You might like to advise us on the year of the motor. However in general, make sure the telltale water outlet has a strong, cool-lukewarm stream of water while running on the muffs. It the telltale water is warm-hot at idle, you need a new waterpump impeller.

Make sure the fuel filters are clean, and the motor gets plenty of fuel. Make sure the carbs are clean. These motors hate lean fuel mixtures and overheating. They also hate lousy fuel, so use midgrade gas and TCW-III oil in a 50::1 mix."

"Thanks- it's an '85,

"Thanks- it's an '85, and the info about lean mixtures is what I was looking for. I have the seloc manual now, and with that and luck, should be OK! Appreciate the time."

I have a 1988 115 I6 the last

I have a 1988 115 I6 the last year thay made the inline 6`s so i`m told. i`m looking for carb kits for this beast. i just bought it a week ago and have had it out twice. other than dying a few times at low idle it`s a powerhouse. does anyone now if there is a forum just for the mariner inline 6`s

Back