Logo

86 evinrude 25hp cant pull rope

M

Melvin Blair

Ok i feel like a real idiot. I

Ok i feel like a real idiot. I bought this motor back in feb. It started fine. its been sitting on the back of my boat for the past few months. I went to start it and now i cant pull the rope. I checked and made sure it was in neutral. Prop also turns spins fine in neutral. Im afraid this might be real ugly.

Where is the throttle position

Where is the throttle positioned? If it is too far towards "fast" then the motor won't turn over with the pull rope. Grab the flywheel and try to turn it by hand.

The in-gear protection on this

The in-gear protection on this motor is activated by a cable going from the shift/link system on the stb side through a cable and to the rear of the manual starter. Try to take off the 'plug' that goes into the starter at the back. (need a small flat screwdriver to bend in the plastic tabs) May have to remove the starter to do this.

I already checked to make sure

I already checked to make sure the little tab retracted and watched the manual starter moved past this position. Then it just locks up.

"Then it is probably only 2 po

"Then it is probably only 2 possibilities.
1: The pistons have seized (corroded) in the cylinders.
2:Corrosion on flywheel-ignition armature coils.(armature plate has corroded stuck to the flywheel
No 2 is easiest to check: Put the gearshift in forward position and (careful) try to give full throtle. Does the ignition armature under the flywheel move relative to the flywheel?
If it does Your pistons are probably stuck! If not try to use force by mooving the flywheel by hand. If possible take off the starter and put a socket on the fly wheel nut, but do not unscrew the nut if possible. Do NOT use a hammer or knock at the fly wheel, it may loose the magnetism and be ruined!
Do not use a puller and take off the flywheel until the plate is loose.
Have you checked the spark plugs that they are not corroded or dammaged by water:"

"Take off the top and check if

"Take off the top and check if the cylinders are damaged from corrosion, broken head gasket etc.
May not be the end, yet!
Are You able to dismantle the whole engine yourself?"

Yes im a mechanic and im gonna

Yes im a mechanic and im gonna start working on it tonight. I appreciate all of you help so far Morten. I will let you know how everything goes after i inspect the cylinders. So far ive seen no damage thru the spark plug holes.

"When I was 16 (35 years a

"When I was 16 (35 years ago) we used to use my friend's dad's 6HP evinrude. We let it sit one season without maintenance and it froze solid. Repair shop said it was junk, so pop's didn't care what we did with it. Ended up driving one of the pistons out with a block of wood and a large hammer. One piston, two sets of rings later, we put it back together. (Neither of us ever worked on more than a lawnmower before this.) One of the cylinder walls was fairly badly scored, but all I did was "touch it up" with a cylinder hone. The thing ran pretty well when we were done. We used it two more seasons, and I lost track of Scott. Finally looked him up last year. After catching up on years of BS--he tells me he still has the motor! He says the danged thing still runs, and he has never had it back apart since!"

Thanks Sleeper i can use all t

Thanks Sleeper i can use all the positive reinforcement i can get. With my daughters wedding early next year Momma has all my money tied up.

Back