Logo

1970bs Johnson 25 HP shift lever has broken off

jon

Regular Contributor
" Hi,

For the

" Hi,

For the second time, the clamps loosend up on my kicker (early 70's 25 HP Johnson), while I was out in the water. I disconnected it and placed it on the floor in the cabin, it was there for a few weeks, apparently it was bouncing around on it's side.

When I took it out, I found that the shift lever had broken off at the base, the break is flush with where the cylinder protrudes from the exhaust housing. There is nothing there to get a grip onto. I tried using an easy-out to shift it, but what happend was the leftover shaft slide further into it's cylinder in the exhaust housing. I did manage to get it back into neutral by manually moving the shift rod from inside of the exhaust housing.

So, if I want to go ahead and fix it, where do I start?

Thanks,

Jon "

"Jon... You don't say exac

"Jon... You don't say exactly what year that 25hp is. However, from what you've said, there's nothing left except the shaft that inserts into the exhaust housing under the powerhead. If that's the case, you need to remove the powerhead in order to remove and replace the new shaft and the handle.

NOTE.... when laying an engine down, always lay it on the tiller steering/throttle handle. The steering handle will take a terrific beating without suffering any damage... whereas (obviously) the shift handle will not.

Curious... You say you "placed it on the floor in the cabin, it was there for a few weeks, apparently it was bouncing around on it's side." Hey now, that's some weird cabin Jon! <grin>

Joe (30+ years with OMC)"

Is there a product available

Is there a product available that will help clean out and dissolve build up in the cooling system of an outboard?

Is there a product available

Is there a product available that will help clean out and dissolve build up in the cooling system of an outboard?

"John..... Personally I don&#3

"John..... Personally I don't know of any product like that but if one existed, I would be afraid that it would need to be so strong that it would stand a good chance of damaging gaskets, seals, the water pump impeller etc etc. Whenever I encounter a engine that is full of salt, debris, whatever, I find that it's best to remove the cylinder head(s), exhaust baffle plate if necessary, etc and do the job manually.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Joe,

That would be a w

" Joe,

That would be a wierd cabin Joe
, it's an aluminum 21 ft starcraft chieftan, very light for it's size. It's pretty hard on a rough day not to get the boat a few feet out of the water on occasion. It's good for busting plexiglass, battery mounts, ripping out screws, and breaking 25 HP Johnsons

Jon "

Back