Logo

1985 50 hp force problem

danny280

I just bought a boat that has

I just bought a boat that has a 1985 50hp u.s. marine motor on it.. I can not get it to fire up. it ran for about two minutes and then it died. I check the spark plugs and they both have power.. whats wrong with it

"perhaps the carborator needs

"perhaps the carborator needs cleaning, has the motor set up for a while? mercury's are notorious for needing a cleaning or a carb kit if the gas is not run out of the carb after using and they set up for a while. I have a mercury thunderbolt, 4.5 and i have ran into that when my brother used it and didn't run the gas out and it set up for a few months. Also check and make sure you have the correct plugs. Try that I am no mechanic but that is what i have experience with outboards and they all pretty much work under the same principle."

"I have a 1986 50hp Force that

"I have a 1986 50hp Force that streams fuel out of the vent on the starboard side of the carb when idling. It will eventually flood the engine and stall, unless I quickly place in gear and throttle up. Once running at full throttle, the stream ceases, but will return when I throttle down. Any ideas on cause, like a the carb float failing to shut off fuel delivery from the pump? Mark"

Back