Logo

Ford PCM 351 starting problem

K

Kevin Maust

"I have a 83' ford PCM 351

"I have a 83' ford PCM 351 with a holly 4 barrel carb. Ive had it for 7 years and at the end of last season I had a problem with it starting. It was not getting gas to the carb and would just turn over. I poured gas in the top of the carb and after several starts and pouring gas, it runs normally. Then it will restart all day and even some days thereafter. If it sets, for a couple of days, or in this case, for the winter, I have to go through this procedure again. Any ideas why it wouldnt keep fuel to the carb - bad fuel pump? etc.
Thanks"

I have a 82 Mastercraft with t

I have a 82 Mastercraft with the same engine and the same problem. I changed the holly out to a Edelbrock and I still have the same problem. It is a morning problem as once I get it started it is good for the day. Did you find out the cause of the problem? I am thinking of putting an electric fuel pump on it.

"LOTS of boats have that same

"LOTS of boats have that same problem, including mine. The combination of sitting there in the bilge in the heat, and not being used several times a day,

An electric pump will work wonders at eliminating this hassle, but be sure to wire it through an oil pressure switch so it will shut off with the engine. A momentary over-ride switch can be used to operate the pump before firing the engine, that way you don't have to crank it until the oil pressure comes up.

Jeff"

Thanks. What electric fuel pum

Thanks. What electric fuel pump do you recommend. Is a Carter ok?

Back