Logo

Hard start on 96 350 Gi cold and hot

J

Jon Allen

"Hi Gang,
My 96 350 Gi experi

"Hi Gang,
My 96 350 Gi experieces long cranking times prior to starting either hot or cold. There are no fault codes present and fuel press is ok. It runs fine otherwise. Any ideas?"

"Have you tried opening the th

"Have you tried opening the throttle a bit before cranking? If the injectors are leaking, it'll be too rich on startup. If this doesn't help, try turning the key to ON, wait a few sconds and turn it off, waiting at least 5 sec before trying again. If it starts right up, your fuel pressure is low for startup but may be OK fur running due to the pressure bleeding off after stopping. This just primes the fuel pressure twice but can make it easier to start.

What is your fuel pressure? 18-30 for older TBI is about right.

What maintenance has been done to it recently? Flame arrestor clean? New plugs and wires? Cap and rotor, fuel filter and good gas?

The more info you provide, the easier it'll be to diagnose."

"Hi Jim,
I like your idea on

"Hi Jim,
I like your idea on priming the fuel sys. prior to start.This sys isn't designed to hold fuel press with the eng off. I did find a severly rotted ign coil which I will be replacing. The fuel press is ok. No signs of leaky injectors. Thank you very much."

"If you mean the coil tower is

"If you mean the coil tower is crusty, just clean it off- I bet it starts a lot easier. You may want to replace the coil wire, but I've seen a lot of crusty posts cause starting issues."

"Hi Jim,
I tried your starti

"Hi Jim,
I tried your starting method this weekend and it works great. I don't know what is wrong with this motor but at least I can get it started without too much trouble.

Thanks Again."

"Which part of it worked- the

"Which part of it worked- the cleaned coil terminal or cracking the throttle? If it was the coil, great. If it's the throttle being opened, that needs to be addressed possibly checking out the IAC or MAP sensor. I would still recommend checking the fuel pressure because low pressure means lean burn under load at high RPM and possibly engine failure."

"Hi Jim,
What worked is cycli

"Hi Jim,
What worked is cycling the key twice with a 5 sec delay. This primes the fuel sys twice. By using this method it will start perfectly without excessive cranking every time.

Thanks Again."

Back