Logo

1999 Gamefisher Force by Mercucry shuts off on accelerate

fulltick

"This past fall I purchased a

"This past fall I purchased a 1999 Gamefisher from a man who had never used it at all. It still had all of the packing and the gas tank had never been filled. (The motor was never used).

I followed the instructions on breaking it in and ran it at 25:1 mixture for almost a full tank. It now takes 50:1.

The motor ran fine during break in and started at first or second pull most of the time. I was glad since I got a great deal on the motor.

I tried to get the motor up and running a the first time this season and found that the fuel line bulb would not get firm. I removed the line several times and turned it to make sure it was connected. I went ahead and tried to start it and it would not start at first. I thought it was not getting fuel so I squeezed the bulb while starting. I got it up and running and while the engine was running the bulb got firmer but not hard like normal.

I ran the boat quite a bit that day and the next and the boat would start on first or second pull. On the last day, the motor started just fine and idles fine. But. if I accelerate, the engine shuts down.

I am sure this has something to do with the fuel pump or intake or even the carburetor but I don't know what to consider first. I have always run the fuel out of the motor before storing it.

Has anyone seen this before on a new outboard?

Thanks in advance for your posts."

Thanks for the reply.

What

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by "richen up the carb"? Do you mean change the air mixture on the carburator itself or change the mixture of oil to gas in the tank?

I doubt the mixture is the problem since the full line bulb is not getting hard when pumping it.

The gaskets on the carb could be an issue but could it also be the fuel pump or something else?

"ok, read post again, fuel bul

"ok, read post again, fuel bulb should get firm with engine off, if it is not getting firm look thru carb to see if fuel is leaking out. bulb will soften up some once engine is running but should stay some what firm, if not try a different tank and line assembly. tank vent is open right? By richening carb I mean to turn idle mixture screw counter clockwise 1/8 of a turn.
Try pumping the bulb when engine stumbles to see if it is not getting fuel to carb"

Back