Logo

86 Four Winns nostart

drjones

"I just bought a 5.7 mecruiser

"I just bought a 5.7 mecruiser alpha 1. I'm not sure the boat was winterized.It will not start.
I replaced the starter, same problem. I talked with a couple different mechanics about it. And was told to eliminate some possibilities.
I took the drive off,pulled the distibutor and primed the oil pump for 15 min, put back on.
took the plugs out and sprayed penitrating oil in the combustion chambers.With plugs still out I cranked it over and got about 10-15 revolutions
in 4-5 seconds then smoke starts coming off the pos+ battery terminal. I put the plugs back in and only get about 4-5 revolutions in 4-5 seconds.Again with the smoke. The engine is groggy as hell.And that poor starter has a tuff time turning it over. What can I do? Is the engine shot. Could there be a way to get this groggy engine spinning again?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks."

"With all the spark plugs out,

"With all the spark plugs out, it should turn over by hand, by hand I mean a 1/2" rachet and socket. You can tell if there is anything intermittent. It should be smooth but with resistance. After that put water to it and see if there are any leaks. Check your oil level and check the outside of the block for water. If there are no water leaks, check your battery connections. See if the cables are healthy. Stick to basics."

"Thanks for the info Harves Ma

"Thanks for the info Harves Marine. With a 1/2" drive ratchet it is very hard to turn over.I really have to jerk it to turn.
But can be done. My starter and cables are new.
#2 cables even. Oil looks good no water in it, or metal flakes. I think I have a partially siezed engine. I'm stumped."

"If it's really hard to tu

"If it's really hard to turn over by hand with no plugs in it, it sounds like you have a bad bearing or a problem with the outdrive. I would check to make sure it's actually in neutral before cranking it."

"The first thing I did was pul

"The first thing I did was pull off the drive.
The drive seems good, I still havn't put it back on yet.

I checked compression in each cylinder, I have some in all of them. So I know its not a blown rod."

"It sounds like it needs to be

"It sounds like it needs to be torn down and inspected, unfortunately. Did you say you were trying to turn it over with all of the plugs out? If they're all in, yes, it will be very hard to turn over because you're compressing the air in the cylinders."

"Yeah it's with the plugs

"Yeah it's with the plugs out.

My thinking is, with all the trouble pulling the motor out and now being 95% sure the motor is semi-siezed up. I might as well drop $1600
on a long block and know i'll get 10+ good years out of it.

I'm hoping everybody has good things to say about Remanufactured.com ??"

Back