Logo

1976 115hp Evinrude wonbt turn offWiring diagrams

• Thread starter Michael Heffey from Australia.
  • Start date
M

Michael Heffey from Australia.

Hello to you all in the U.S.I

Hello to you all in the U.S.I just purchased a Swiftcraft searunner with a Evinrude 115 and power pilot controls.The problem is it won't switch off until you disconect the fuel line.I would greatly appreciate any wiring diagrams and engine exploded diagrams that will help me along.Also are these engines reliable and do they have any common faults to look out for??

Thee should be a single wire

Thee should be a single wire coming out of the power pack. You will likely find it disconnected. It grounds through the ignition switch to shut off the engine.

" Mike.... That powerpack has

" Mike.... That powerpack has a "Black" wire that leads from the pack to a grounding bolt/screw. There is also a "Black" wire that has a "Yellow" stripe (Black/Yellow) that leads from the pack to a terminal on the back of the ign switch. There is also a "Black" wire on the back of the ign switch that leads back to the engine block. The ignition on your engine is "Self Contained", that is it needs no external power, and the ignition switch is simply a way of shorting out the ignition to stop the engine. When the key is "off", the "Black/Yellow wire is connected to the "Black" wire at the ign switch which shorts out the power pack, killing the ignition. When the key is "on" those wires (Yellow/Black Black) are not touching, and the pack is enabled. Hope this gives you something to go on. (Joe 30+ years with OMC) "

" Thank you guys for your help

" Thank you guys for your help.Ted you were correct on the wire being disconnected,but why we wonder.
Joe,the black and yellow wire on the pack had been disconnected,not sure as to why.Checked the shorting with ignition on and off as you said and all is well until you fire up engine with black/yellow wire connected back on the power pack.The spark is no where as strong,not sure why but still working through it.Joe are these engines reliable and do they suffer any common problems?....Thanks again guys..Michael "

" Mike... Just happened to not

" Mike... Just happened to notice your questions and remarks. If the spark is somewhat weak when the black/yellow wire is connected to the ignition switch, that indicates that the ignition switch is starting to fail and is on the verge of shorting out. Many times I've seen engines without ignition and upon trouble shooting, have found that the ign switch shorted out (black/yellow to black), and in essence was the same as turning the key to the off position. As far as the engine being reliable, yes it is. However as with all mechanical things, problems do develop at times. Good luck. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

Back