Logo

Mercury 199290hp 3 cylinder two stroke seized steering

bill

The rod that the steering lin

The rod that the steering link rod and steering cable attaches to appears to be seized inside the steering cable tube. I have tried applying heat and force to no avail. Any suggestions?
Bill

" Bill,

Assuming tha

" Bill,

Assuming that it is the stearing link rod that is stuck in the tube, and not a siezed steering cable (check for this by attempting to take the cable out of the tube);

I'm not recomending this, but if you are out of options. First, I'd try spraying around the edges with some WD40, and if you have a grease fitting on the tube, pump something slippery in there. Then find your toughest screw driver, slip it through the hole in the tip of the rod and try twisting. A pipe-wrench could scar it up, but scarring up the end where the hole is shouldn't be a big deal - if the screw driver bends on you, try that. You may want to give heat a shot with this, but if you heat too much, everything will expand, and it won't help. You want to hit the tube with a quick super-hot blast, then try it.

If that doesn't work, I got one moving once by banging the hell out of it until it moved a little, and then I got it twisting, more banging in, pulling it out, and spraying with WD40. Be sure not to bang in so far that you can't get something in the hole to pull it out.

You don't want to bend it, and I don't think it's a great idea to over rotate the cable, so be sure to counter rotate every half turn or so.

I don't know what type of stearing you have (if it's no-feedback, you can't push the cable up into the helm without turning the wheel at the same time), but be sure to undo the nut that secures the cable onto the cable tube. Hope this helps,

Jon "

"Bill,

I agree with everyth

"Bill,

I agree with everything Jon has said, but it has been my experience that the best thing to do is remove the pivot tube with the cable inside. Once you do this you can apply the heat directly to the tube, and you have a chance of freeing it up.

If this doesn't work, replace the tube. You might be able to salvage the cable by cutting the old tube away with a cutting wheel on a die grinder or a dremel tool. With enough patience you could do this with a hacksaw also.
"

Back