Logo

HOW CAN I TELL IF POWER PACK IS NO GOOD

edward

" HI BOARD...I HAVE A 1986 FOR

" HI BOARD...I HAVE A 1986 FORCE ENGINE, 125 HP 4 CYLINDER. MY PROBLEM IS THAT I DO NOT HAVE NO SPARK AT ALL TO THE TWO TOP CYLINDERS. WHILE I WAS BOATING MY MOTOR JUST STOPED WORKING AND AFTER BRING IT HOME I CHECKED FOR SPARK AND FOUND THAT I WAS NOT GETTING SPARK ON MY TWO TOP CYLINDERS. IN THE LAST 8 YEARS I HAVE HAD MY TRIGGER COIL AND POWER PACKS REPLACED THREE TIMES. THIS BOAT IS GETTING VERY EXPENSIVE FOR I TO TAKE TO A SHOP ANY MORE. MY QUESTION, WHAT SHOULD I CHECK AND HOW SHOULD I CHECK IT. I AM JUST TRYING TO SAVE ME SOME MONEY. IS THERE ANY BOAT SALVAGE I CAN GET USED PARTS. PACKS ARE ABOUT $300.00 ANY HELP OUT THERE WILL MAY BE A BLESSING..... THANK YOU ED IN SO. CALIFORNIA "

"YOUR PROBLEM IS THE STATOR.I

"YOUR PROBLEM IS THE STATOR.I HAVE A 1994 120HP. AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM .1 @ 2 CYLINDER WERE DEAD. JUST TO MAKE SHURE YOU CAN SWAP WIRES IN SWITCH BOX IF CYLINDERS FIRES AND 3@4 GO DEAD IT IS THE STATOR E MAIL ME WILL SEND YOU A TROUBLE SHOOTING [email protected]"

" No offense meant to Ricklone

" No offense meant to Ricklonewolf, but the ignition systems in these years are as different as night and day. Actually there are at least three different different ignition systems that were used on these engines. If you can find the numbers on the "power packs" I may be able to send to you through this forum (with Andrew's help) a troubleshooting guide.
Tom "

" I have a 1989 35hp mercury o

" I have a 1989 35hp mercury outboard. I can be running along at 5400rpm and all of a sudden it will bog down to 3000rpm and remain steady. Occasionally, it will take off again and run about 5400prm. The problem is erratic, and I once noticed while running at 5400rpm, the tach needle dropped all the way down and popped back up.One moment later my engine went from 5400rpm down to 3000rpm and remained that way the rest of the day. "

Back