Logo

1975 Johnson 115HP is there a rev limiter

roger

" Checked carbs, spark, and co

" Checked carbs, spark, and compression
Flushed and drained carb bowls
Got fresh fuel (super unleaded)
Run at full throttle asnd after a short time she stalls and picks up , stalls and picks up. Very much like a fuel flow problem, or a rev limiter cutting out spark until RPM's drop.
Did this motor have a rev limiter, or should i seek another solution? "

"Roger.... That engine has no

"Roger.... That engine has no rev (rpm) limiter. The problem you describe is normally refered to as "Pulsing" (I have no idea why). This problem is usually caused by a leaking "O" Ring at a snap on type fuel connector at either a portable fuel tank end or at the engine. A fuel/air leak anywhere in the fuel line would also cause that problem. If you're using a built in tank, check for a "Anti Siphon" valve at the fuel tank supply area (where the rubber fuel hose is attached to the top of the tank) as they are notorious for sticking, resulting in a fuel restriction. If it exists, it will be about 2" long, aluminum, and contain a spring, ball, and ball seat. Knock those inner parts out, converting it to a straight through fitting, then reinstall it.

If none of the above apply, I would suspect that the high speed jets in the float chambers are somewhat restricted (2 to a chamber). The possibility exists also that your fuel pump could be failing but you can check that easily by simply pumping the fuel primer bulb, acting as a manual fuel pump. Keep us informed.

Joe
"

Back