Logo

Trailer wheel bearings

"Do you have bearing buddies o

"Do you have bearing buddies or simple caps?

Kinda depends on how much in/out of the water and how much hauling you do.

I would guess (not that I really keep track) but I use bearing buddies and (refill) them 2 to 3 times a year. I'm out most weekends, plus a couple of weeks during the boating season (may-oct) and travel about 200 miles round trip per week with the trailer - if that kinda gives you an idea - I guess somewhere around the 1000 mile mark they are usually getting low enough that they need to be repacked...

My trailer has 12" tires - smaller tires would require service more often and conversely larger a little less often..."

"Also be mindful that if u tra

"Also be mindful that if u travel long distances to launch boat give the bearings in the trailer a little time to cool before reversing it into the water, the hot to sudden cold change by entereing the water can shatter the bearing casings and you end up with seized wheels on your trailer."

"Graham, I checked today and I

"Graham, I checked today and I have bearing buddies, I filled them intill the new grease came out. Not much water came out. I also jacked up each wheel and spun them and one of them had a rough sound,Kinda like a grinding but not really..
Should i just go ahead and replace the seals and bearings?? The trailer is a 1989 champion single axle no brakes."

"Mike, for the cost of it I wo

"Mike, for the cost of it I would change both bearings and seals. Most discount auto places can hook you up with parts pretty cheap (I'm thinkin' less than 20 bucks) - at least alot cheaper than losing a wheel on the highway
"

"Hi there!

My 2 cents worth

"Hi there!

My 2 cents worth...

Lube all exposed steel of the hub & shaft. should water get in, the steel won't corrode.

Also, make certain you pack them correctly. Any decent auto mechanic could show you. You need to make sure that the whole race is lubed. I've used a hypodermic syringe and needle to do it. Far less messy than conventional methods.

A tip from a mechanic friend of mine, never tried it myself tho... If the seal is seperate of the bearing, you could gradually heat the bearing in the wife's oven and dunk it into the grease. The sudden chill will absorb the grease.

Don't forget to smear some grease on the seal's lip... Common mistake.

Good luck!

Benjamin."

there should be a small hole o

there should be a small hole on the outside of the bearing cavity cover....grease will come out this hole and prevent you from overfilling the bearing cavity...you should see the spring loaded cover come back towards you before this happens...if not then you have a bind in it..this happens...if you have a buddy bearing without this hole in the shaft cover then be very careful and dont overfill...look behind the wheel and see if you see grease all over the shaft..if you see this the rear seal has been blown...replace and fill with care..when you replace bearings(hopefully before they are completely shot) its a good idea to either put them in an old grease can or wrap them in oily rag and place in a ziplock and store them for emergency..if you dont use them i guarantee someone alongside the highway will someday..

Back