Logo

2002 Mercury 150 hp saltwater version

aussie61

"ALARMS!!!! Ok , I've rea

"ALARMS!!!! Ok , I've read the past posts BUT I know I 've no water pump probs because The motor pees just fine, oil floats is not stuck or sticking and if temp sensors were bad, they "SHOULD" sound whether engine is cold or hot. So why does this engine, all of a sudden, want to set off the alarms? Runs fine for about 7-10 mins then "ding-dong" the alarm bells go off? Anyone have any suggestions or maybe shed some light on possible causes please. Only wildcard in all this is I just trailer the boat from Louisana to Somerest KY and DID break a fuel tank outlet because of rough roads but don't see how that should be an issue here."

"water sensing module on starb

"water sensing module on starboard side of power head, it has 4 wires, purple - connects to 12v power. light blue connects to Lube alert - which sounds the warning horn when activated. Tan - connects to sensing probe and Black - Connects to ground.

the system can be tested by removeing the Tan wire from the sensing probe and holding it to a good engine ground for 10 seconds.

Also check connections on throttle position sensors, MAP sensor, All Ecm wires and plugs Temp Sensor on port side of powerhead.

check for moisture build up in any connectors and spray all with some sort of water dispersant lubricant."

"Stewart, not necessarily. The

"Stewart, not necessarily. The temp sensor works on simple resistance. Lot's of resistance when cold, near zero when hot.

It may be reaching "continuity" at a temp well below about 175-190 which is causing the alarm. So it is quite plausable that when cold you are not getting an alarm, but at say 140 degrees (normal) the sensor is faulty - completing the circuit and sounding the buzzer...

These sensors are very basic in design..."

"Nope, no good mate. Port si

"Nope, no good mate. Port side has a non OEM sensor, MIGHT, be the prob tho never had it b4. Sensoe head sits proud of hole and fork hold down plate obviously not in position (lack of black Paint) BUT Eng only had 150 hrs max on it when I took possession in Dec '07, since then 50-60 hrs no probs, alarms only after trip up from LA to KY. Sl No OT 443884, 2002, 15 CXL SWB i hit all connectors with LPS2 in Feb-March and again 3 weeks prior to moving boat (June) no moisture period. All this alarm noise is "out of the blue" but a worry until I get it fixed. Do u sell OEM parts, I should replace non OEM sensor anyways"

"Ok Graham, thanks, I think it

"Ok Graham, thanks, I think its probably the sensor then ....... just need to find some one how has one... I'm in somerset KY, and need one yesterday! LOL bit like a man in a desert needin a cold beer!"

Back