Logo

318 cranks wonbt start

J

JTK

318 cranks won't start.spu

318 cranks won't start.sputters back through carb
eng sat for about18 months in engine compartmemt.compression test is marginal. i saw engine run before i bought it. set timing to approximatley 8 degrees. tried switching wires 180 out. no luck. thinking valves maybe stuck or comprestion low due to sitting. any ideas on how to get it running? i think if it runs again it will tight things up some

drained oil and replace plugs.

drained oil and replace plugs...seems to wan to fire now but won't start...think plugs were getting to wet...pulled 2 plugs and saw and orange glow...was told it could be a sign of a week coi...???

"Yup. Pull the coil wire from

"Yup. Pull the coil wire from the distributor and wheel it over. You should see a massive blue arc that will jump nearly an inch. If not, change the coil--but get the right one! If you have a ballast resistor, it uses a reduced voltage coil.

Jeff"

bought new coil used old resis

bought new coil used old resistor. external type.. have one on order. did not check for blue arc.cranked engine sputtered alittle...no cooling fluids in block yet..could there be a shut down circuit.disconnect all belts. helps with spining and battery drain. this is not looking good...

compression:

8. 100 7

compression:

8. 100 7. 60
6. 68 5. 42
4. 82 3. 35
2. 40 1. 35

any ideas...can i put new rings in via pulling the oil pan?

"WOW! With those low numbers

"WOW! With those low numbers you will have to rebuild that motor. No wonder she won't run. There isn't enough compression. What's strange is that all of the cylinders are low. Could it be a pair of blown head gaskets or warped heads? Try the compression test again but squirt a little motor oil in the cylinder before. If the numbers improve significantly, the rings are shot. If they don't, it could be the heads, or your timing chain has slipped and the valves are not fully closed when the piston is compressing.

There is a patern. I notice that the cylinders closer to the front of the motor are the worst and those near the flywheel are better. If this is a straight (in-line) trans, then the 1 and 2 cylinders are higher near the front. Did this motor overheat from lack of cooling water? The higher cylinders overheat first."

not an inline set up. bought i

not an inline set up. bought it as a vee drive set up.would head gaskets prevent it from starting and running until it over heats? not sure if the engine was over heated. but did see it run before i bought it...for what its worthvalve covers are off. i do see light exhuast comming from them on occassion

ok did another compression che

ok did another compression check using 30w oil
all cylinders were between 85-120psi...it was suggested that i go to a HEI setup...any thoughts

update.pulled risers off check

update.pulled risers off check to see if clogged. there clear. did another compression check. all cylinders on odd cyl came up to 75-85 even side two 85 plus other two 100 plus.adjusted distrbutor lost timing mark. when found #1cyl was way off. at one time i know they did line up. could this be a sign of a bad timing chain. if so can it be replaced in the boat?

..."could this be a sign o

..."could this be a sign of a bad timing chain. if so can it be replaced in the boat?"

No and no. Sounds like the heads need to come off for a valve job. That MIGHT do it....

Jeff

ok. after using cleaning fluid

ok. after using cleaning fluid to make sure lifters were flushed here is the final comp check

8/130 7/60
6/80 5/60
4/110 3/60
2/80 1/60

after i did manage to get a rumble using starting fluid

"Pretty low, but the rings mig

"Pretty low, but the rings might just be stuck. You're gonna have to get it running! Get lots of battery power and try some ether if needed.

Jeff"

carb is shot was flooding out

carb is shot was flooding out cylinders...just using starting fluid..a little oil in cyl on weak side..good response 5 sec run maybe more fluid not response...was thinking about getting edebrock carb from jpeg.get fluid rolling again
starter getting hot and solinoind spins out

"James have you tried a new Ba

"James have you tried a new Ballast resistor?
Chrysler's are known to have issues with these. It will sound like it wants to start but won't. Chrysler factory Electronic is fine, I wouldn't spend the money on a new distributor setup UNLESS your stepping up from a points setup, and then the only one to go with is the Mallory setup... This unit is topshelf... I have a pertronix Igniter in my own boat and it works fine, but if you can swing the difference go with the Mallory."

The ballast resistor is not in

The ballast resistor is not in the circuit until you release the key (ie; in the ignition ON position).

Jeff

got it thanks.after careful co

got it thanks.after careful consideration.here is the plan.pull intake and heads clean them up replace gaskets and compression test again. if pressure comes up great if not it time to get another eng...does the intake have to be on to do a compression test??

Back