Logo

43LX Alpha One Starter Problem

94islander

"My battery completely died la

"My battery completely died last week, I mean dead, Nothing. Put it on the charger for about an hour turned the charger to Jump start mode and Starter started to spin for about 30 seconds before engaging the fly wheel. It will eventually start and run great. If I start it then shut it down and start it agian within a 30 seconds it refires no problem if I wait a half hour the starter spins 20 - 30 seconds then engages and starts.
Battery or Starter?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Dan"

Sounds like your starter is ge

Sounds like your starter is getting iffy.
It may just need some light grease on the bendix to allow the starter cog to engage the flywheel a little easier.

Rod

"After an overnight slow charg

"After an overnight slow charge check the specific gravity of each cell and then load test the battery. If one cell reads much different than the others and/or the acid has a brown tint; replace the battery.

Has the starter pinion gear shaft been cleaned and lubed? It would sure not hurt it. A strong, fully charged battery would help the starter engage."

"I was hopping not to have to

"I was hopping not to have to pull the Starter but that is sounding inevitable.

Thanks for the input, I will let you know how I make out.

Dan"

"Dan;
I think that is where y

"Dan;
I think that is where you are headed.
Once out, I would get it fully serviced so you know that it will be good for a while. Nothing as frustrating as not being able to get her started whilst out on the "high seas".

Rod"

Back