Logo

Thermostats

M

mello hand

i have a 1987 johnson 200 hp.c

i have a 1987 johnson 200 hp.can anybody tell me what the pressure valveon thermostat is fror and can i run this motor without it?

"has to be there----would u pu

"has to be there----would u pull,the thermo,out of your car?the pressure valve,opens up as wtr pressure is increased(eng spd)to provide more cooling wtr."

"JUST WANTING TO PULL TEMPORAR

"JUST WANTING TO PULL TEMPORARALLY BECAUSE MY MOTOR RUNS GREAT,PEES A VERY STRONG STREAM BUT A WIDE OPEN ENGINE STARTS TO GET A LITTLE HOT AND THE BUZZER WILL ALARM BUT WHEN I BACK OFF IT GOES OFF.JUST WANTED TO SEE IF IT MY BE THERMO."

"Pull the heads and check the

"Pull the heads and check the water passges and water deflectors. I had the same problem on my 1990 175hp. Changed the water pump and thermostats, but couldn't keep the alarm from going off if I went over 2500 rpms for more than a few minutes. Be sure to put on new gaskets and re-torque the bolts to specs and in the correct order"

"Hey Mike
Ive just pulled my

"Hey Mike
Ive just pulled my port head and cleared the waterpassages of my 1978 140,causing exactly the same symptoms, (what a mess inside), can you advise what kind of prep work you did on the block,or any,... be careful of ..... tips ?"

"That engine does not have a s

"That engine does not have a spring loaded pressure valve like most of the other, but a manual valve operated by the throttle arm (#37).
Full throttle and the pressure blocking the thermostat membrane is off and there is 'free flow'.
1: Be sure Your impeller is fresh. If older than 3 years, change.
2: Dismantle and clean the valve and all cooling passages,
3; Double check the synch of the engine and the function of the valve system
193788.gif
"

I APPRECIATE ALL THE TIPS YOU

I APPRECIATE ALL THE TIPS YOU GUYS GIVEN ME WILL PULL HEADS TOMORROW

"1: Please loose Your CAPS LOC

"1: Please loose Your CAPS LOCK!
2: No need to pull the heads, this engine does not have any deflectors like the old cross engines.
3: Just check the valve/lines and that thermostats are not sticking in the bushings. (#49)
If You still have the old type rubber bushings and cups, have the replaced with the new type plastic."

Back