Logo

No RPMs after failed part replaced

larryt

1999 Bayliner with merc 5.7 MP

1999 Bayliner with merc 5.7 MPI and Bravo III drive. Ran fine out to cove. Started up to charge batteries. Running fine then shut down. Ignition module under distributor cap failed. Put in new one engine fired right up. Now engine will not go over 3000 rpms under load. Complete tune up did not help. Fuel filter replaced also. Any ideas???

Guy....Timing was fine before

Guy....Timing was fine before part failed. Engine runs fine and revs great with no load. Falls on its face when you try to jump on plane. No history of thgis problem. outdrive coupler was replaced last season.

Tried a second module no chang

Tried a second module no change. Tried a module from another exact match engine..no change

time to check pressure from th

time to check pressure from the fuel pump I guess...weird about the module but maybe not related..

""Timing was fine before p

""Timing was fine before part failed."

Anytime you replace parts in the distributor it is a good idea to check the timing.

"Falls on its face when you try to jump on plane."

Did they erase the fail codes?

I would recheck everything that was touched; all wire plug connectors, rotor, dist. cap., etc."

"Larry:

I don't know ho

"Larry:

I don't know how. Try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes.
question.gif
"

"doesn't always work but d

"doesn't always work but disconnect batt cables
(neg first then pos) and hold the two together for 10 or so seconds, as this will discharge capaciters for keep alive memory therby clearing codes.

Kurt"

Back