Logo

Prop spins both ways by hand in gear

ballerone

"installed a new prop and as i

"installed a new prop and as i was tightening it i had the motor shifted in reverse and all of a sudden the prop slipped, spins both ways in reverse, tried shifting it in fwd and reverse and seems like it holds a little better but still can spin it by hand if i try, reverse gears bad??"

"motor is trimmed all the way

"motor is trimmed all the way up while i was doing changing the prop, could it be that cable needs adjustment only? doesn't seem to grab like when in fwd gear."

"Not likely the gears.
When y

"Not likely the gears.
When you are in fwd the prop will be able to turn CW with a ratcheting sound, but should lock solid when you turn it CCW.
Vice versa when you are in reverse.

Your lower shift cable may need adjustment if reverse will not hold.

I would try running it on muffs and see how it shifts before getting too panicky. Sometimes they won't hold a gear very well with the leg trimmed all the way up, which I suspect is where it was when you were installing the prop?

Best procedure for torquing the prop nut BTW is to block the prop against the cavitation plate with a short piece of 2 x 4. You should not use reverse gear for this, in my opinion.

Rod"

"i'll try in the AM thanks

"i'll try in the AM thanks, i'll post my results, if it is the cable adjustment how hard is it to adjust?"

"It's easy to adjust, you

"It's easy to adjust, you just remove a cotter pin and a 1/4" nut, slide the assy. out of it's bracket and thread the keeper ahead or back a couple of threads. Have someone turn the prop by hand slowly while you put it in forward and reverse. You should find a happy medium. Make sure you adjust the cable going to the OD not the one to your controls."

"Hi,

You've probably al

"Hi,

You've probably already figured this out but I had a similar problem putting on a replacement prop...I forgot to take the locking bushing out of the removed prop and when I tightened the prop nut and took off, the boat hardly moved. I thought my drive gears were toast but it turns out I didn't put that bushing type device in the replacement. It spins by hand either way if you don't but the prop feels tight."

Back