Logo

b67 Evinrude Questions

barthautala

"I just bought a boat that has

"I just bought a boat that has sat in a barn for awhile (20 years) and prior to that it hadnt been used much. So I thought I could ressurect the beast. The boat is a 1970 Starcraft Runabout. The motor is a 67? 40752E Evinrude 40 horse.

Firstly, its missing a little piece that connects the throttle cable from the cockpit controls to the control arm on the motor. The cable is there but the piece that belongs on the end of it is gone. Whats this called and where can I get one?

Secondly, what should I do with this motor before I attempt to even turn it over? Im going to check the plugs, clean them. But other than that, I dont know what an old motor needs to have done to it.

And anyone know what the oil:gas mixture is?}"

"this eng,does not use a press

"this eng,does not use a pressure tank...
however...deciding this,..will be the very least....of your problems...............before u attempt,to turn it over,......would be to get it off the transom,................and buy u a mid 80's eng,..and u would be so very much ahead,it would take a page of typing."

"The fuel/oil mixture is 50:1

"The fuel/oil mixture is 50:1
You could go through the motor a bit before deciding its fate. Pulling the plugs will give you an idea of what the inside of the cylinders are like. If they are corroded or have lots of "crud" on them you could probably stop as that is what the inside would probably be like.
There is about a 100% chance you'll need to get a carb kit for the carburetors after it has sat for that long, a new impeller too.
You may be able to clean up what you already have to see if you have spark, compression, and are getting fuel. Getting it to fire up is 1/2 the battle.
I understand where jwbmarine is coming from, but have a soft spot in my heart for cool looking old motors. Good luck."

If you can do the work yoursel

If you can do the work yourself it can be a " great motor " for you. First you have to establish the overall condition of the motor before starting to spend money.Compression test and remove bypass covers to inspect for broken rings ( fairly common ) on them. It may have been parked for a reason.Remove the flywheel as cracked coils is also common.You must install a new water pump if the above is all OK before running it.

It has already been mentioned

It has already been mentioned that it uses a single line tank and the motor has a fuel pump.

"Your local Walmart will have

"Your local Walmart will have a universal outboard fuel tank you can buy fairly cheap.
You will also need to buy the connectors and fuel line for it, which are also available at Walmart.
Just look for OMC/Johnson/Evinrude. If it says one of these, it's the right one."

"yep, I have a soft spot for t

"yep, I have a soft spot for them too, you will need a new impellor, fuel pump repair kit(old stock should be still available, check the ignition and coils-in the short term if the coils are cracked and you still get spark, buy a can of Valvoline 506 rust preventative wax or Wurth preserving wax and fill the cracks, it will stop moisture getting in. Check the points, plugs and compression. Pull the carb bowl off and check for cleanliness, if clean, rinse it and put it back on. If not(corrosion and dirt), strip the carb and clean it out. essential gaskets are the manifold and bowl gaskets. the rest in a carb kit is for a full rebuild which it may not need. While the lower unit is off, replace all seals(under water pump, prop shaft and case) as they will probably be crispy by now and let the water in)Does not take a pressure tank. SHould be a good, reliable and simple runner after this and price estimate on the parts is around $100. They are also 30kg lighter than any other 40 horse!"

Back