Logo

Honda 130 stalls when put into gear

merlin

"My 1999 Honda 130 will stall

"My 1999 Honda 130 will stall when I put it into gear. This happens after I've been out for a while and idling for a bit. When I slide her into gear she stumbles and stalls unless I gun it. Runs fine otherwise.

It seems like a fuels issue to me. I changed the fuel filters, checked the lines, etc. I also performed a complete tune up (plugs, valve adjustment, oil change, gear oil). Still doing it.

Is there a filter or screen in the high pressure fuel filter? I used to have a yamaha f115 and it had one. I couldn't find it in the manual.

The idle does seem a little low - is there an idle adjust on this motor - couldn't find that either.

Any other suggestions?"

"I'm sure there is a idle

"I'm sure there is a idle speed air bleed adjuster on the throttle body which is sealed in the factory, as it shouldn't have to be adjusted.
I would first check that the auxilary air valve is working properly before adjusting the idle speed air bleed."

"I just got my boat back from

"I just got my boat back from the authorized Honda dealer in our area for this exact problem on my '98 130. They said they were not sure what the problem was and told me to live with it. Let me know if you get it figured out. Is the auxillary air valve the same as the IAC (idle air controller)? If so, I have cleaned it with non-chlorinated break cleaner and it did not solve the problem."

"The auxilary air valve is the

"The auxilary air valve is the same as the idle air controller, which is bolted to the top of the inlet manifold(2 bolts & 1 wiring plug) directly after the throttle body. Remove & clean out with brake cleaner, then lube with WD40/CRC 666. The valve creates a higher idle speed
after start-up when the engine is cold for a minute or two.
If after cleaning it out there is no improvement, adjust the idle air bleed screw(recessed slot head grub screw covered with paint) which is situated in the top of the throttle body facing the air box. Adjust when engine is hot."

"Just-in time. What do you su

"Just-in time. What do you suspect the problem is? If you think the answer to this problem is in the factory manual, I will buy one in a heartbeat. I just want to figure this out. That is the reason I took it in for repair. I currently have a Clymer shop manual but will order a factory one if it will help. I am sure that this problem has surfaced before and somebody has fixed it before. I just need to get pointed in the right direction. Thanks for your help. Any additional feedback is appreciated."

"u can set the idle speed at 7

"u can set the idle speed at 750 +/- 50 rpm
u remove the iac plug, then adjust idle
it is only in the factory manual"

"Before I adjust the idle I wo

"Before I adjust the idle I would like to clean or change the high pressure filter. Can someone help with some instructions? I live in southern baja california, getting a shop manual down here is going to take some time.

Thanks!"

"Anyone out there able to walk

"Anyone out there able to walk me through the high pressure pump filter change?

Just-in-time, Thanks! I'll try to call Honda."

"By the way, do you know a num

"By the way, do you know a number for me to call Honda at? Should I call a dealer or Honda directly?"

"Thought I would post this jus

"Thought I would post this just in case it helps anyone else with a similar problem.

Here's my story. I live in a remote part of baja california so finding a Honda tech is pretty hard to do. Some motorcycle guys showed up in town making a video and one of them was a motor-head. Great guys. So I offer to take them fishing and tell the motor-head my sad story and he goes, "I know exactly what it is". He comes over the next day and removes a small solenoid switch that he says controls some air intake while at idle. It has a screen in it and it's all plugged up with junk. We clean it out and put it back together and that's it - it runs perfect again. Sorry, I'm not sure what the switch is called. I'm out of town right now but when I get back I can take a photo of it and forward it to you if you send me your email address.

I can't believe how lucky I was that this guy came along - I would have chased this thing around forever. He said it was a common problem."

"Yes please do so.
<[img]"htt

"Yes please do so.
happy.gif
"

Back