Logo

Yamaha lift pump

rterry

I have an 03 Yamaha 225 4-stro

I have an 03 Yamaha 225 4-stroke with a stalling problem. The dealer says the lift pump is bad and he has ordered a new one. When I bought this boat I ran it for two years before I realized it was charging at 23 volts (I fried a few batteries). The voltage regulator was replaced under wanrranty. I asked the dealer if this could have damaged the electric lift pump. Naturally he said "no". Any opinions or related experience?

2002 Yamaha 115 four stroke...

2002 Yamaha 115 four stroke.....runs great under 2500 rpms...beyond 2500 it starves for gas. If I pump the gas bulb it will run without problems.

Any ideas???

Thank you all!

Dennis

"I'm the guy with the 225

"I'm the guy with the 225 that started this thread. I have a similar problem, except my Yamaha occasionally stalls while coming up on plane. I can get it going again by pumping the fuel bulb. The boat is in the shop for a new lift pump. Anyway, some obvious things you can check are 1) the fuel/water separator, 2)kinks in the fuel line, 3) air leaks in the fuel lines to the tank, 3) If possible check the fuel pick-up line in the tank for trash and/or switch fuel pick-up tubes if there are two. Beyond that you are probably looking at new fuel pump(s). But as I said my problem hasn't been fixed, so I'm not the best person to advise on this problem."

"Re. my stalling Yamaha 225, t

"Re. my stalling Yamaha 225, the mechanics put in clear plastic fuel lines and saw air bubbles coming from the tank with the engine running. There are two pick up tubes in the tank. Ditto results on the second pick up tube. The tank is nearly full of fuel. They put the fuel line in another tank. No bubbles. The pick up tubes are welded in and apparently have leaks just below the top of the aluminum tank. The solution, they say, is to drain the tank, fill it with argon, and install another pick up tube.

Isn't this wild!"

"Well, the saga on my stalling

"Well, the saga on my stalling Yamaha F225 continues. The tubes that were welded in the tank were not the pick-up tubes. They are "anti-slosh" tubes that are there to protect the actual pick-up tube from sloshing fuel. The actual pick-up tube is a plastic tube attached to the fittings on top of the tank. These plastic pick-up tubes were missing on my boat. For 4 years I've been running this boat with no fuel pick-up tube in the tank. The only reason my engine ran at all was that it was able to pull some fuel, along with the air, from the anti-slosh tubes. The boat is a Wellcraft 250 Coastal. Anyone with a Wellcraft boat with problems with the engine stalling should check and make sure there are pick-up tubes attached to the fuel fittings on top of the tank."

Back