Logo

07 TOHATSU 98 ELECTRIC STARTER PROBLEM

J

JLymb

"When I turn the key for elect

"When I turn the key for electric start, there is a "whirring" noise, but no crank start. Sometimes, it is just silent--nothing. The motor runs great when I get it started by pull starting. Previously, electric start worked great. Then it would only start the first turn, but nothing after. Is the starter motor gone?"

"The most likely problem is a

"The most likely problem is a voltage loss from a battery with a dead cell. After that, anything in the starting system could be the problem. As you have a three year warranty your best choice would be to take it into an authorized dealer and let them determine what is wrong."

"The issue should be fixed wit

"The issue should be fixed with a replacement battery then, yes? The voltage meter reads over 12amps (normal), so could the battery still have a dead cell? Maybe battery cable is bad? Taking the motor in to the dealer in is good advice for other than battery problem, though it's difficult to detach cables and remove from the engine well. Thanks for the advice Tohatsu Guru."

You would need to test the bat

You would need to test the battery with a load tester rather than a voltage meter. It's possible that the engine could have something wrong with the cables...But if you are using the standard cables that came with the engine it's very unlikely they would be at fault unless they have been cut.

Back