Logo

How to remove Crankshaft Timing Belt Pulley from a B21

followingsea

Regular Contributor
"I broke a timing belt on my B

"I broke a timing belt on my B21 block (AQ125, AQ140, etc). The timing belt pulley on the crank needs replacing (Photo Below)

How do I keep the motor from turning (With no timing belt) while trying to remove the big center bolt holding the Timing Belt Pulley? Also, does that bolt come off COUNTER-CLOCKWISE?

Once the bolt is out is it a matter of pulling the pulley off with a gear puller?

193585.jpg
"

"Not for replacing the belt, b

"Not for replacing the belt, but it seems due to pitting a good idea to protect the new belt from being eaten!
I used to put in 2 10-8 screws in the pulley holder and lock with a large screw-driver."

"Thanks Leo. Martin is correct

"Thanks Leo. Martin is correct however. I want to replace that old pulley. I noticed it was pitted and has some nicks in it. Definitely time to replace it. Also, that thin metal "washer" or shield just behind the pulley has a nick in it. So I want to replace that also.

I thought about putting a few screws back in the front of the crank pulley and wedge a big screwdriver or piece of angle iron in, but was afraid I might shear off one or two of those little bolts if the Nut is really tight. How about a plumbers Strap Wrench?

Any good sources of a replacement Crank pulley without handing over my First Born?"

"As You are replacing the gear

"As You are replacing the gear anyway, You might try to get a chain-wrench to fit, but difficult. Never had any real problems with the center bolt and pulling off the gear."

"Thanks Morten. I'll give

"Thanks Morten. I'll give it a try and see how it comes out.

P.S. Sorry for typing TOO fast and calling you "Martin".
blush.gif
"

"Dennis, an impact wrench will

"Dennis, an impact wrench will do the trick for the bolt, and a bearing puller for the sprocket.

Try auto wreckers for timing gears. Or check some of my previous posts, I have given autopartswarehouse links for brand new timing gears, and also for Chapman Motors (auto wrecker specialized in Volvo Penta, located in Vancouver Island, BC, Canada)."

"E.P.,
Thanks, I'll check

"E.P.,
Thanks, I'll check out those options for used or new timing gears/pulleys.
I don't have access to an impact wrench so I'll
try the "bolts and big screwdriver" method that Morten talked about.
I'll also pick up a gear/bearing puller. I'm sure I can use it again some time in the future.

These older boats with VP motors and outdrives are like remodeling an old house. You open up a wall or go to fix the plumbing or electrical and find a few more things demanding attention...and on and on it goes.....
happy.gif
"

"Problem solved with the help

"Problem solved with the help of my friends! I tried two of the small bolts and a large screwdriver. Ended up snapping off one bolt. My next step was to use a 16" Pipe Wrench on the forward edge to hold the crank from turning (Careful not to scratch things up). Next, I added a 2' cheater bar to my wrench. A couple of grunts and proper application of a little cussing and that bolt finally gave up and decided to come loose.
After that it was easy to pull off the timing belt gear. Waiting on the replacement parts now.
Thanks again to all who stepped in to offer help!
thumbs_up.gif
"

""There was a reason I men

""There was a reason I mentioned 10-8 bolts!...."
------------------------------------------------

"The DEVIL is in the DETAILS!"
happy.gif
It's a long run to the local hardware store so I tried the short-cut by using the existing bolts. Now I know which way doesn't work.

But all's well that ends well. A lot can be accomplished with a Large Hammer, a LARGE Pipewrench and my cheater bar! And that's for my finesse work!
wink.gif

Thanks again Morten."

"PROGRESS! I found a set of TH

"PROGRESS! I found a set of THREE timing belt gears today at a wrecking yard (Crankshaft, Camshaft and Accessory Drive). Couple hours spent in the round-trip and pulling the parts and I got them all for $50--a bargain!
thumbs_up.gif

They are definitely in better shape that what I had. Cleaned them up and installed them on the motor this evening. The new Timing Belt should be in tomorrow to join the new Tensioner Pulley.
Feels good to improve the reliability of this ol' Volvo without breaking the bank."

"The conclusion:

It's a

"The conclusion:

It's all back together and runs great. A few more days of wiring, building custom throttle linkage and installing misc. equipment and she's going out for sea trials. Thanks again for all the good advice and help on this job.
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back