Logo

Motor wonbt trim down Even manually

big_builder

Contributing Member
So I have this basket case 90

So I have this basket case 90 hp johnson. 1989.

The trim and tilt isn't working. i don't really need it but it is frozen in a trimmed up postion.

Nothing I have tried will make it go down. I have completely removed the maual screw on the side and the fluid all came out. I can lift the motor up but when it comes down onto the double rams it stops dead. Even when I stand on it.

Is there any way I can just get it down So I can use it?

"it is supposed to stop on tri

"it is supposed to stop on trim rams....that is as far as manual rel valve will take it...u need to repair the basket cases tnt system,...but,if u r just putting it on a barge or something,u could,..pull one trim piston out till its down,but i would'nt do that,i would repair that nice tnt."

"Yes,

The motor is cooked I

"Yes,

The motor is cooked I think.

I really need to have the motor trimmed down so we can get to work tomorrow.

It's just a work boat but it won't plane out with it trimmed that high.

ISn't there a line or something I can crack to just get it down until I can have itfixed properly?"

"u might could pull a ck valve

"u might could pull a ck valve,but the trim piston cap would prob be easier,....if u do,reinstall it to keep out wtr..a lg punch,can get the job done,but usually ruins the spanner holes in top cap."

so do I just spin those caps o

so do I just spin those caps off and then the rams will go down?

Or do I have to pull out anything?

"support the lower unit,......

"support the lower unit,.......
remove trim cap,..allow lower unit to move in fully,trim piston will be forced out,if not all the way,remove it to allow it to drain fluid,...replace trim piston,and cap......bingo,u now have a fully non-functioning TNT unit."

I did like you said and got th

I did like you said and got the motor down.

Seemed to work pretty good.

When I do go to get the motor rebuilt do I need to follow any procedures to blled the system now that the piston has been out?

Back