Logo

Changing carbs on a 1987 mercury 135 blackmax

t_brewer

hello i just purchased 1987 st

hello i just purchased 1987 stratos 201 pro without a motor & i already had a 1987 mercury 135 blackmax & i was wanting to know if i could put a set of 150s' carbs on it or maybe a set of 200s' on the 135 to get a little more power the 135 pushes the boat about 45mph i've checked my compression on all cylinders & they vary from 130 to 135 i am only the second owner of the motor & i know it has never been mistreated.any help would be appreciated

"Yes it is possible .I put a s

"Yes it is possible .I put a set of 175 carbs on mine ,I dont think it is worth the effort.These are a sweet running motor id try some different props for more speed."

i have a quicksilver 21 &

i have a quicksilver 21 & the rpm's are good i can turn 5500 easy you think i need to go to a 23p i know that would lower my rpms but would that give me more speed

"Im not sure if a 23 quicksilv

"Im not sure if a 23 quicksilver would be faster if you max out at 55oorpm.I was thinking of looking at an aftermarket performance type prop ,you need to do some internet research to start,also consider some aftermarket props may work better with some engine height,But may compromise acceleration.Start at the mercury marine page or try scream and fly ."

No.You have a great motor that

No.You have a great motor that will take a thrashing and still keep on going .id be looking at more hp(bigger motor) to get more speed.i think you will find the results of buying a bigger motor cheaper in the long run.

"The best you can do with this

"The best you can do with this without many hours in a machine shop is 150 horses. It will cost you a new carb bank and unless you lie to yourself you will not notice a difference.

This is just a 2 liter engine, even 150 horses is pushing it to an early rebuild.

Take David's advice - either enjoy the motor or sell and grab a 200 - that's a power difference you will notice..."

Back