Logo

PCM 123 Tranny Fluid Spewing Out

morphix

"Hi guys, I have a 92' Sup

"Hi guys, I have a 92' Supra Comp with a PCM 1.23 Trans in it. I recently bought the boat and yesterday I had it out on the water for a good 30 mins or so. Everything was fine, the trans ran fine without any problems or slipping. Afterwards I was just checking for leaks etc since I haven't had it out on the water until now and then I noticed some white fluid at the bilge.. probably a 1/4 cup worth, so not much.

I figured it was trans fluid and so I couldnt find any leaks around the trans but I did notice some flui at the breather cap/blowoff valve(if thats what its called), I then had my buddy run the boat for a while and I watched the cap to see when it spews out the fluid. Anyways, we could run the engine and boat at any speed without any problems even at WOT for a good 30 seconds or so... however when we run it at WOT for more than 30 seconds to a min the transmission fluid starts to flow out of the breather cap.

I was told that there could be too much transmission fluid in (i wasn't the one who filled it, so I have no idea) and this could be why... I was just wondering, is this anything I should be concerned about? The transmission didn't feel hot.. so I don't think it is overheating, I don't know much about them though.. any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post."

"better to notice something li

"better to notice something like that early. have you checked the fluid level on the dipstick? you're not slipping so it's not too low yet, but keep an eye on it."

"How could I tell if I am slip

"How could I tell if I am slipping?.. would there be a noise or a loss in power or anything of that nature?

Does anyone know why the trans fluid would come out of the breather cap? Is it defnitely heat related? or could it be that there is just too much fluid in there?

Other than that, if the trans slips.. would that mean it needs a rebuild defnitely or no?"

"usually tranny fluid come out

"usually tranny fluid come out because it overheats or it's overfull. if your slipping, when you accelerate your RPMs will go up, but you wont have as much if any power to the prop...it's pretty obvious when it happens. the tranny can't take too much abuse due to a slipping clutch (gets real hot, wears the parts, and sometimes fuses the clutch plates together = rebuild). check your fluid and smell it. brownish/smell means it got hot. you'll be able to tell. too much fluid in the tranny usually causes the tranny to pump a bunch of fluid out. before you get to far into, i would check your fluid, change it with clean new fluid, fill it to the correct level as per your manual and see if you're still leaking."

"Thanks Chris,

The fluid i

"Thanks Chris,

The fluid in it is brand new, so thats why I say it may be overfilled.

One more question, it seems that this boat was in muddy water or sand, it has been rusting a lot. One other thing that sparked my attention is that the transmission fluid when it was spewing out was whitesh pink almost foamy fluid.. As I said, I don't know jack about transmissions, so my question is... would it be possible that my cooler rusted through and water is getting into the transmission causing the water to mix and boil and causes the fluid to spew out?.... or does red transmission fluid normally turn pinkish white while the transmission is spinning?

Thanks again for the info, it has helped me a bunch."

nope the milky looking fluid d

nope the milky looking fluid definitely means that there is water in the fluid and it would be real quick and easy to check your oil cooler. i would definitely start there.

"I hate gut feelings.... <[img

"I hate gut feelings....
rain.gif

Thanks again for the info, It looks like I will be starting there. I'll keep you all upto date to let you know what I find."

"yeah trannys can be a pain, b

"yeah trannys can be a pain, but they really aren't that complex and they are bullet proof if you keep them serviced and don't abuse them. good luck...you might want to invest in a pressure gauge if you don't have one yet."

"Hi guys, for an update. Turns

"Hi guys, for an update. Turns out it was indeed my oil cooler that was shot... i drained so much water out of that transmission. I replaced the oil cooler, flushed the transmission 3 times an a 4th for good luck. By the 3rd time the fluid was all clear.. so I took the boat out a few times since then... checked the fluid.. still clear and perfect as it should be. :) Thanks for all the help guys!"

that's great news erno....

that's great news erno....that was definitely the inexpensive route to go and i'm glad that you caught it before too much damage was done.

"Robert,

To check your oil

"Robert,

To check your oil cooler with a pressure gauge you can use a tire pressure gauge on one side and then pressurize the cooler to around 30PSI. Since they don't make one specifically for the oil cooler that I know of, you have to be a little creative with parts from the local hardware store. You can also pressurize the oil cooler and submerge it in water and look for bubbles to see if it's leaking. When you use the pressure gauge, you are just looking for a decrease in that 30PSI over the course of a couple hours. Hope that was fairly clear!

Christian"

"Just in case you guys haven&#

"Just in case you guys haven't used the Correct Craft Fans forum yet, there are some very knowledgeable transmission guys over there and that's where I learned just about everything about trannys. They have saved me some $$$ with their advice."

"Casey, the way to flush it wh

"Casey, the way to flush it what i've found works best for me was to use a fluid extractor pump. They sell them at any auto store really. I sucked out the fuild, placed new fluid in... let it run, sucked it out, put new fluid it in. 2-3 times until i had a nice and clear fluid color and no milkyness."

Alright thats what i was think

Alright thats what i was thinking i was going to have to do i just wanted to make sure that there wasnt a better way of flushing it

Re: "Just in case you guys haven&#

Hi folks. New to the forum but been on CorrectCraftFan for a number of years. My 1.23:1 would not go into reverse over the weekend. It made the normal gear whine like it always does in reverse, but the prop shaft didn't turn. It goes into forward and runs with no problem.

Someone said it might be some sort of blockage in the channels for reverse and suggested that I put a pressure gage on both the forward and reverse channels and see if I'm getting appropriate pressure in both forward and reverse (which would mean bad clutch) or if there is a pressure drop in reverse.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I posted on CorrectCraftForum but have not gotten any replies yet.

Thanks,

Gordon

slmskrs post a new thread of your own,you will get a better response. Top of home page above blue line,click on thread tools

Back