Logo

Water pump replacement

jeff6898

Contributing Member
1979 Evinrude 85hp 85999R

1979 Evinrude 85hp 85999R

Plan on replacing the water pump and thermostats just as a prevenative maintenance. Is this something fairly easy or is it best to take it in and have a shop do? I know it hasn't been replaced in at least 3 years.

Personally i would not replace

Personally i would not replace the thermostat without good reason but its your call. Relatively easy to do along with the relief valve i would judge.

If you don't know how old the pump impeller is then replacement could be a wise move. Whether you do it yourself depends on how confident you are doing what is a bit more than just a simple job. It does require the whole gearcase assembly to be removed from the leg. A kit of parts should include every thing you'll need. A manual would be advisable.

Well I rebuilt the carbs mysel

Well I rebuilt the carbs myself by following the manual. Wasn't sure if the water pump was alot more complicated or not.

"I am replacing the pump on my

"I am replacing the pump on my 1975 115 for the third time. It is not too hard but you have to be careful. My service manual has very little in the way of step by step, so pay attention when dropping the lower.`The shift bell linkage is first to clear out of the way.
Don't plan on the lower to fall right off, but be prepaired if it does. There is an o-ring on the upper end of the drive shaft that should cause some resistance as well as curd in the split line. I put wood shims between the cavitation plate and the four bolts to jack it down. Remeber there are two bolts from the underside of the cavitation plate.
while it is down you may want to consider seals between the pump and the gearbox and above the pump. The sifter rod has an o-ring and gasket that can leak water in the gearcase.
Mine still had the original alum pump housing. It had corroded in the I.D. so I replaced. Plastic with a stainless band an plates are what is offered now. Be sure an protect the innards from loose debris."

Back