Logo

Ignition Coil Test

saco2300

"Does anyone know if it is pos

"Does anyone know if it is possible for both the primary windings, and the secondary windings to read as an open in my coil ?? I have the EST ignition.

12 volts at coil, and out to ignition module
both coils show open to ground, and no continuity through the coils.

Seloc says I should have 7500-9000 ohms through secondary windings, and .035-.045 ohms through primary.

I am using a digital multi-meter set on 2 ohms ( only available setting ) I am assuming the decimal will move places with higher resistance. Would I have have better luck with an analog meter, or do these readings seem realistic, and the coil is junk ?"

"mmmmm.... usually there is a

"mmmmm.... usually there is a symbol next to the display digits that indicates ohms, Kohms or megohms. Given the worse case that this is in fact only a single range meter with a 2 ohm range, you would read an open on the secondary, but the correct reading on the primary. Check your ohms function as follows... short the probes together, should read Zero Ohms or very close to it...if not...meter problem. Most likely bad battery... (Some meters have a seperate battery for the ohms function) If you have an analog meter available, use it."

"Yup,I got a beep and zero rea

"Yup,I got a beep and zero reading putting the leads together. I'm gonna dig out my old analog meter and try that. Hopefully its exactly like you say, will read proper ohms on secondary, which means I have an open on the primary.....coil junk I imagine. Got any advice on testing the module ? Seloc basically says if you have right voltage and ohms at coil, change the module, but little bit expensive experiment seeing I won't be able to return the module if it turns out to be something else."

Back