Logo

Connecting two outdrives

lezmtaylor

"Hi There,
My first post ,so

"Hi There,
My first post ,so be gentle with me please!!
I have a 26 ft Cruiser fitted with 2 x AQ130C/270.
There is a fair bit of wear in the clevis pins and housings.
Now I can bore out and repin as necessary to remove this play.
The 2 out drives each have a steering arm with 2 holes for mounting connecting rods to.
The set up was as follows:
Starboard arm inner hole (Transom side) was connected by rod to the outer hole on the port arm.
And the rod from the steering wheel was connected to the starboard outer hole.
To me this seems wrong , surely the rods connecting each leg should be connected to the same holes on each leg i.e. both inners or both outers, otherwise the geometry will be incorrect.
The steering wheel rod going to the spare hole.
Am I correct or not ????????????????"

"Hi there,
I have made up new

"Hi there,
I have made up new pins ,drilled and installed grease niples and reamed the holes for a super tight fit.
the play is now eliminated.
Still unsure about the connecting rod geometry as mentioned in my earlier post.
Anyone any suggestions.
Thanks in anticipation,
Regards,
Lez"

"OK... Per the Volvo shop manu

"OK... Per the Volvo shop manual... The drives are supposed to have a "toe out angle"... especially on deeper V hulls. Although in reality per their dimemsions its really a "toe-in angle". Connecting the steering arms as you indicated might probably accomplish the toe-in angle, but the two drives would rotate when steered at different rates. I would recommend that the steering cable go to the outer hole on one drive and the two drives be connected via the inner holes. The link however between the two drives would need to be adjustable via heavy duty turnbuckle with locking nuts. In any event...
Per the manual... Measure between the top dead centers of the transom shields. This is "Dimension A". With the drives straight ahead and pushed apart by hand, measure between the screw heads on the trim tab fins...This is dimension "B"... Dimension "B" should be from 9/16 of an inch to one inch LESS than "A"
Per Volvo, this angle should be adjusted "until an operation free from cavitation is accomplished" I read one reference some years ago that said that on installations where the drives are close together that the prop rotations should be such that the prop tips rotate towards each other, i.e., STARBOARD drive has a LH prop, PORT as right hand prop. The Volvo shop manual has the opposite recommendation. Fortunately, changing from one to another is less than a hour's work... Sooo what ever gives you better performance, i.e., less cavitation. The rationale in the article I read was that if the prop tips rotate away from each other, that both prop tips are running in less dense water."

"Hi Robert,Many thanks for the

"Hi Robert,Many thanks for the info,I have contra rotating props,but unsure at the moment which way!!
Boat is in use as a river cruiser in the UK (legal speed limit is 4mph upstream and 6 mph downstream) so I don,t think the toe in/out will be too critical at these speeds, although I,ll check this at the winter layup.
Yes I am glad that you agree with me regarding the ''hole'' set and I will also alter this during the winter.
Once again thankyou for you advice and happy boating.
Kind regards,
Lez"

Back