Logo

Force 150 HP will not startturnover

wdgoff304

"I have a Force 150 HP outboar

"I have a Force 150 HP outboard. It had not been fired up in about 8 years when I bought it. I had flushed and filled all the fluids and replaced batteries. I had it running for about five minutes and then it just shut off. I tried to refire but the starter starter to smoke. I went ahead and replaced the selinoid and starter, and cleaned all wire connections; but now I can't even get the starter to turn. I have checked all the wiring for continuity from the ignition to the starter (to include the battery), and all seems well. The only things i haven't checked are the thermostat, the warning system, and the stator (which I don't think will have anything to do with the starter not turning). Anyone have some ideas own't else I can look at to remedy this. I have scoured Seloc manual. Thank you."

"Wesley
I also own a 1995 For

"Wesley
I also own a 1995 Force 150. Last year my engine had the same problem. It turned out that my power head gasket was defective from the factory. My engine only has 50 hours on it (I know!) So the starter burned out because the head gasket blew, causing some water to enter the cylinders. Luckily it was repaired with no damage. I had a Honda 9.9 Kicker motor to get me back to the dock. You might want to have a mechanic bust open the carburetors and see if there is gas and/or water. Any questions I can give you my mechanic's contact info."

"I feel like an idiot. I have

"I feel like an idiot. I have just proved the importance of paying attention to detail when working on electrical wires. I found a metal clip on the distribution block that I had put in the wrong place and it was grounding out the ignition. After relocating this cheap peace of metal, my motor fired right up. I can't believe I did that. Thank you Charles for the reply."

Back