Logo

5 hp 2 stroke tohatsu starts but quickly stops

bamaboy

"This has been a great engine

"This has been a great engine but yesterday on my way home from fishng it just quit. Acted like it was out of gas. Now it will start, after I rest it a few minutes, but it will only run for 10-15 seconds and then stop again. Any ideas?"

Clean the carb and cleaning th

Clean the carb and cleaning the carb means taking it apart and soaking it in carb cleaner for three hours. Spray cleaners are worthless to solve a problem as they are weak.

"I have a 5HP 2 stroke, the mo

"I have a 5HP 2 stroke, the motor will start and run for about 30 minutes to get me out of the harbor and where I need to go but when I try starting the motor to get back in. It just won't start. This has happened time and time again. It will start, run for a while, then won't start again for a whole day. WTF!? I need some Guru advice! Changed the fuel line, fuel filter, cleaned the carb, cleaned all the screw down contacts, replaced the spark plug."

Get out your service manual an

Get out your service manual and start running the checks on the ignition system. If they all check out okay then you have a problem in the fuel system or and engine block problem.

"I have a Nissan NS5B- 2 Cycle

"I have a Nissan NS5B- 2 Cycle 5HP. The engine worked fine all summer until yesterday when it suddenly stalled after runninng full throttle for 5 minutes. It would restart but only run at idle speed. Any accelaration would cause it to stall. The fuel is OK, internal tank filter OK, fuel flow to the carb OK, I cleaned the carburator and it looked OK. The problem still persists. Anyone have Ideas about what is going on? What next to check out?"

Back