Logo

1500 mercury good or bad

greasemonkeyjmj

Contributing Member
"hi there. i have a chance to

"hi there. i have a chance to buy a bass boat with a 1500 inline mercury, which i believe is a 81 model. i have always been a omc man especially after having bad experiences with a 40 horse merc. what i was wondering, was just how dependable were the inline 150 horse engines of this design. i would hate to try a mercury again, just to regret it later.

thanks"

"James, the inline 6, or tower

"James, the inline 6, or tower of power as they were referred to "were" a decent engine. However, most of the parts have been long discontinued now and in some cases are either next to impossible to obtain or very, very pricey if you can find them.

Personally, I would not place a great deal of value in the motor as part of the overall package. You should consider what you think the boat is worth etc and decide if it is a good deal, with the thought in mind that the motor may be "disposable"....

It could last you ten more years or ten more days..."

These are generally nice runni

These are generally nice running motors if they have been maintained.You can not walk into a modern dealership and expect them to support these older motors it just does not happen.If you can do your own work you will find lots of places with loads of used part to keep it running.

Back