Logo

Boat dies and wonbt start back

ndhlpguy

"Please help I have a 2006 Tah

"Please help I have a 2006 Tahoe Q4 w/ a 4.3 mercruiser. About a month ago I had some friends up and while going down the lake my boat just died and would not start back. It was full of gas so I took it to the dealership the next day. they checked the gas for water and put it in the water to test it out and of course it worked fine so, I brought it back home and have had no trouble until today when the exact same thing happened. We rode all day yesterday just me and my wife but, today when we had friends up and had about five people in the boat we experienced the problem again. This may sound weird but seems like we always have more weight on the left side when this happens. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer."

I think the timing with friend

I think the timing with friends is just coincidence. Good thing as wives tend to get a little testy when it happens when they are along.

Sounds like an electrical issue.
Could be the key switch or perhaps the 10 pin barrel plug. Could also be a bad coil.

Rod

Thanks Rod guess I should have

Thanks Rod guess I should have mentioned that when it die the engine will turn over but seems like it is not getting fuel. I think you may be right about the electrical part but I can usually wait a few hours and go back out there and it will start right up.

That is almost for sure electr

That is almost for sure electrical.
Next time it does it pull the coil wire and see if you are getting spark. I am betting not. If not your coil is breaking down with heat.
They are cheap.

Rod

"Checked coil and was getting

"Checked coil and was getting spark so I had the Marina come pick it up. They found that I was getting no fuel pressure they checked and changed the filter and then they found cracked hose barb on the fuel line. Only nine bucks on the parts but, I guess since they spent all day on it they were nice enough to hook me up with a $236 bill. Thanks to Rod for the suggestions I really thought we had it nailed."

Jon;

As long at you are bac

Jon;

As long at you are back up and running; a $236 bill in boating world is not that bad.
Hope it continues to work for you.

Now get out there and burn that gas; the oil companies need your support!

Rod

Back